Windows 7 pro 64, XP mode

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Windows 7 pro 64, XP mode

Post by shirox »

Would like to ask the bros here who have more experience than me using a more advance laptop for your APs,

Let's say if i get a Laptop and have windows 7 pro 64 installed.
There is a program that can installed for free in pro called XP mode.

So here's the question... Will all the Astro programs that is installed in XP mode works?

Cos i have a few stuffs that only XP can work like QHY5 to PHD etc... all not workable in PHD.

Thanks!
Elton
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

XP Mode is just an emulator of Windows XP itself. Most likely there won't be problems, but no guarantees.
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

apparently in Iceinspace there's some reviews on this:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/show ... hp?t=56341

Just in case anyone needs info
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Hey Shirox,

I run a Dell XPS laptop with Win7 Home Premium 64bit. In the beginning I had compatability issues with Meade Envisage and a few other Astro softwares not being able to run on 64bit systems. Since Home Premium doesn't have the Windows virtual player available for XP to be installed on (only Pro)...I used the Freeware VMWare which works the same way.

But now I don't as Meade as well as Orion has released drivers for 64bit systems. So the DSI and Starshoot run perfectly on my Win7 64bit laptop.
ASCOM has no issues as well as Nebulosity2 and PHD. Stellarium and The Sky 6 run ok. EQMOD works perfectly as well Maxim DL5. Deep Sky Stacker runs smooth too!

Only tricky things is...some installers need to run with Administrator privileges. Though one may not have their Laptop with several accounts, you have to right click and select Run as Admin. Once installed, test it. If you get some script error...right click, select Properties, Compatibility, check Run as Admin. These are more towards the irritating check to many times security issues built into Win7. But it has it's good points...lol!

Not sure about PS CS2 as I run CS3, Painter X, ACDSee, Freehand MX all with no issues.

Problem then was drivers being mostly 32bit. Many have put up 64bit drivers already...so do a Google and I'm sure you can troubleshoot it easily. Biggest issue I had so far was my widgets vanished and couldn't get them back onto my Desktop. Had to do a RegEdit to clear some regional keys that were preventing this from working! Some keys get installed with other softwares...which tends to screw something else up!
Sigh*** This always make Mac's the real Plug and Play!

Hope that helps!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Another option to consider is to partition your drive into 2. Install Win7 64 on one, WinXP the other. As and when all the astro and non-astro software you need runs on Win7 64 bit smoothly, wipe out the WinXP partition and add back the free up space to your Win7 partition. Most partitioning software can do that easily without the need to reformat the whole hard drive and reinstall the OS again.

With storage space getting so affordable, even when that day comes, you may just continue to leave the 2 partitions there for the ultimate piece of mind that in the event one OS fails (e.g. virus attack, latest window updates screwing up your astro software), you can still quickly switch to the other to continue your astro imaging. It is like carrying 1 more backup computer to the field.

Until Win8 comes along. :) But then again, just create the third partition. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.