Best star app for iPhone

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
oxygn

Best star app for iPhone

Post by oxygn »

Iphone users, any planeterium/star app that you would recommend for the ipone? thanks in advance.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

I'd suggest Sky Safari by Southern Stars.

The really nice thing about it is you can control your mount wirelessly with your iPhone by purchasing this gizmo called a SkyFi which talks to Sky Safari.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zByzLp1bDUg
heyjojos

Post by heyjojos »

I use Star Walk. Its a good program and cost only US$1.99. You can point it towards the sky and it will tell you what you are seeing. Alternatively you can program what you want to see and the program guids you by telling you how to move your iphone. Excellent program in my opinion for $1.99.

HJ
mymoon

Post by mymoon »

orly_andico wrote:I'd suggest Sky Safari by Southern Stars.

The really nice thing about it is you can control your mount wirelessly with your iPhone by purchasing this gizmo called a SkyFi which talks to Sky Safari.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zByzLp1bDUg
Yes for their new basic SkySafari 3. Price US 0.99 for a limited time.

No for their telescope controller. Novelty value maybe. Wow factor high. From iPad public can control telescope. Give them a feel of telescope automation.

cheers
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

I ended up buying a SkyWire from them. Unfortunately I don't have the right serial cable (doh!) for controlling my CGEM. Oh well..
mymoon

Post by mymoon »

orly_andico wrote:I ended up buying a SkyWire from them. Unfortunately I don't have the right serial cable (doh!) for controlling my CGEM. Oh well..
Welcome to amateur astronomy.

You need to approach it with an open mind and in a financially disinterested manner. :D

cheers
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

skywire is cheap anyway.. i tried to fabricate a CGEM serial cable but it didn't work, so i need to buy a serial cable one of these days. Not a priority as I still haven't fixed the CGEM wedge problem. Maybe when I am not traveling every week...
hommel

Post by hommel »

I am using Pocket Universe and Redshift.
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

i use Star Walk
kensou

Post by kensou »

i uses GoSkyWatch ^^