WTB - A Short Tube Refractor Telescope

Have a scope to sell? Or wanna find a good deal? This is your place to buy, sell or trade astro stuff!
jimmyleong

WTB - A Short Tube Refractor Telescope

Post by jimmyleong »

Hi I have just started astronomy and therefore a newbie. For now I am thinking of getting a short tube refractor telescope, maybe 80mm to view mostly the moon or maybe some planets.

As I am just starting, I do not wish to spend too much money to buy those sophisticated ones. At the same time I hope that this telescope can be easily potable.

I may even use this telescope for viewing in the day time, maybe for nature viewing pleasure. I may also wish to attach my Nikon DSLR to this telescope to take some photos.

As I have nothing, I may be getting a camera tripod as a stand.

Kindly quote the brand and model of the telescope as well as the eyepieces or accessories if any.

Thank you.
jimmyleong

Post by jimmyleong »

Upzzz for my search...
Chris

Post by Chris »

Try the Bosma Beta RE 3.15" T f/6.3 Achromatic Refractor Complete Kit. Go to astrobargains.com. cost $469.

You will just need a T-ring and t-adaptor to take photos.
jimmyleong

Post by jimmyleong »

still searching.... thanks.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Hi Jimmy,
As I understand, these are your requirements:
1. Cheap
2. Compact
3. Dual-use for photography
4. Dual use for land viewing

Firstly, what roughly is your budget?
Secondly, how important is it to use your scope for daytime viewing as well?
Third, how important is it to use your scope as a DSLR lens for daytime photography
Fourth: Do you intend to do astrophotography

If what you really want is a scope that will be able to see nighttime objects and cheaply, then I suggest a cheap reflector, either on a dobsonian style mount (such as the Celestron Firstscope, Orion Starblast series). These have the downside of producing an inverted image so you will need a correcting prism to use for daytime viewing and while they can be used as camera lenses, they are ergonomically difficult to do so. The main advantage is they are significantly larger in aperture and come reasonably we mounted for visual use. They are not useful for astrophotography except for the moon and maybe Jupiter

If you really want a refractor, then be aware is it, aperture for aperture, the most expensive type of scope. They also require a reasonably stable mount - be aware that when you magnify, every little bit of vibration becomes very evident. If your camera tripod requires some fiddling to center your desired object in your viewfinder (i.e. has significant backlash), it will be a frustrating tripod to use for astronomy because the field of view is very much smaller.

Hope it helps you a bit :) I know it sounds a bit discouraging but basically what I mean to say is that cheap can be had if you adjust some of your expectations but they can all be met if cheap is less of an issue :)

Personally, if you don't mind not using it for photography, a 4.5" class reflector is probably a great choice.
if you want all of the above, then a good 80mm ED scope will start from $500, used, not including mount (which can be had from the US for $120USD, used, plus shipping)
DON'T PANIC
jimmyleong

Post by jimmyleong »

Hi cloud_cover, thank you so much for the detail explanation to me a newbie. With my current situation and commitment, I doubt I would be able to have the opportunity to go for sky parties late into the night, nor I be able to go overseas for such.

What I would be using this telescope for? I guess mainly for viewing the moon and some planets at night and possible general sight seeing at day. I dun think I would be using this telescope for stars viewing though I hope to. Also I do not want to get a big telescope and thus very bulky and not easily carry around.

As for astrophotography I guess my options are limited. With my setup I doubt I will be able to take fantastic photos of the deep space objects anyway. Maybe the moon and daytime photography.

Thus my preference for a short tube telescope. If I am unable to get a reasonably priced used piece, I may buy one from overseas.

I have more or less narrowed 2 - Orion short tube 80-A or WO Megrez 72 Apo which is more expensive. I know Apo ones are better in CA correction. Question is based on my needs, do I really need to spend money in such a good telescope? I would also need to get a camera tripod for the telescope.