M7-Ptolemy Cluster

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
timatworksg

M7-Ptolemy Cluster

Post by timatworksg »

Sharing my recent trial at AP through the Balcony Window from my Astro Pier set up! With Scorpius leaving my balcony view soon, the milky way will soon follow. Soon 2-3 months of target-less views.

Messier 7 (NGC 6475) or known also as Ptolemy Cluster, is easily detectable with the naked eye, close to the "stinger" of Scorpius. Didn't get too many subs in on Thursday night though, with clouded haze sneaking in around 11pm+. But pretty pleased with what was achieved though with the milky way as the backdrop....hope you all like it!

- 12x60s subs WO Mgrz88FD+Starshoot SSDSI II/Autoguided/Nubulosity2 capture/Maxim DL5 process/PS CS3 post

Last edited by timatworksg on Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
Bergkamp_
Favourite scope: Telescope that i can bring out

Post by Bergkamp_ »

Hi Bro tim.. diamonds..
Wee Ern aRmeD wiF Telescope reAdY tO taKe ovEr thE skY .. wIF jUst mY naKed eYEs .
mch3898

Post by mch3898 »

Hi Tim,

Clusters are such delights. Great shot to add to your collection. Target-less? Trifid and the Lagoon should be coming into view.

(By the way, no more artifacts from the SSDSI? How do you do it? I got myself a SSDI Pro2 and still get artifacts. Any advice?)

Christopher
christopher
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

@Wee Ern

Howdy Bro! How are you? Thanks but wish they were real diamonds...lol!

@Chris
Hi Chris! Your a sight for sore eyes...HAHA! Been wondering where you've been!
Target-Less.....the balcony window height limits me to image till midnight at most nowadays...lol! Already done the Triffid & Lagoon. Tried a Cat's Paw but needed longer exposures. However it created lots of noise from the SSDSI II's CCD. Darks didn't help much either. Been toying around with the idea of making a cooler box for the SSDSI II cooled with a Peltier. Just to reduce the noise artifacts that the CCD creates. It's not a high end cam anyways and even at 5min subs...a fair bit of noise crops up, which is removable by darks. But longer and darks themselves are noisy even stacked! Hence the possible experiment of a cooling box. Also will probably get a new CCD soon.

As for the artifacts....it seems to be an inherent problem with Orion. Everywhere I checked, even the Yahoo groups...and there are issues with this. I still get artifacts but limited to 2-3 subs at least.
Suggestions I could give are, try plugging the cams USB direct to the Laptop. The Cam takes up the most power from the USB compared to anything else plugged in! If your using a USB Hub,...get a powered one!
Basically, from the feedback gathered, it's more a signal issue. Just gotta live with it as long as those dashes/artifacts are limited to a few subs...they can be thrown out! If too many..then it's a serious CCD issue!
Also read that there was a batch some time back where the polarity of the peltier was reversed!!! So the casing never got warm!...lol! The casing should get warm as the peltier hot side is running through a plate which is screwed to the casing as a heat sink!
The SSDSI II which I have now is a mere 3V peltier. Don't want to do any serious mods....but thinking of a cooling chamber around it. Worth a try a I guess...since I do wish to upgrade...lol!

Hey! We MUST catch up! Will visit one evening! Lemme know which night is good! Cheers and God Bless

Tim
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Thanks for sharing. The M7 was the first cluster I saw through my newly purchased ETX90 when I first started into astronomy. Plonked the scope on the floor of my darkened kitchen and peered up at it. It was so serene!
Brought back some memories. I tend to call this the Swastika cluster for obvious reasons! Next I moved on the M6 which looks really like a butterfly! :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

@Airconvent

Glad it brought back memories "Her Kommandant!"...lol!

Never noticed the "Swastika" till you mentioned it...and it is a beautiful cluster to admire through any scope! It's a rare few with nicely spaced stars, clear with a shape that is serene...I agree.
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

swee!!!!
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

@shirox

Thanks Bro
mch3898

Post by mch3898 »

timatworksg wrote:
@Chris
Hi Chris! Your a sight for sore eyes...HAHA! Been wondering where you've been!

Hey! We MUST catch up! Will visit one evening! Lemme know which night is good! Cheers and God Bless

Tim
Hi Tim,

Yeah, I have not been doing much imaging - what with the terribly cloudy skies we have been getting. Anyway to keep myself occupied, I got to learning about plate solving. Quite interesting topic, especially when used to match some of my old images to sky maps. Try the free Aladin sky map software.

Yes, we will catch up. Let me know what CCD camera you are getting. Maybe I will ride along too.
christopher
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

it is a lovely region even though it is a star cluster....amongst the rich milky way background and all the dark absorption nebulae....very cool!
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits