guess what is this and its use?

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
jimmyleong

Post by jimmyleong »

Interesting piece of equipment. Do you leave the lights on when taking the photos?
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

where can these EL panels be bought locally? i agree they would be quite useful..

i modded this old Canon 300D i got (for $100) to remove the IR block and left a ton of dust inside.. so flat-fielding is gonna be a must now going forward.
mch3898

Post by mch3898 »

You can get EL panels from

Sonia Lim

Nejilock Technology Pte Ltd

Tel: (65) 6785 2345

H/P: (65) 9489 9003

I have actually done up two sizes, one for my C8 and one for a WO90 refractor. I have been using them for quite a while already and seemed to be ok. I will try to post some pictures. ( It's been a while since I posted pics and have to go figure out how to do it.)

Craig Stark has a very good article on this - http://www.stark-labs.com/craig/article ... TT_ELF.pdf. I got my idea from here.
christopher
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

i have gotten the EL directly from Gerd Neumann. As long as the EL emits a broad continuous spectrum, it can alsi be used to take narrowband flats which was my intention. Line emission sources don work as well. The light is left on only when taking flats. It is removed totally when taking the object of interest. Really like the flat profile of the EL panel...makes transportation easy, can be placed in the same bag as the refractor during expeditions. One thing of note however, the inverter does make a high frequency (though not that loud) sound. I guess the method of electro-luminence requires the generation of high voltages which is generated within a converter circuit that is connected to the EL panel when the light is activated. More information on EL here.
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
mch3898

Post by mch3898 »

These are the two EL panels I framed up using hardboards from the stationery shops. The EL panels, including the inverters, can be bought from Nejilock Technology. The one on the left is for the WO90 scope and the one on the right is for the C8.

[img][img]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6187/604 ... 312912.jpg[/img] EL Panels for taking flats by mch3898, on Flickr[/img]

Below is one of the master flats taken using the above EL panels.

[img][img]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6203/604 ... 77ef8a.jpg[/img] master flat by mch3898, on Flickr[/img]

Hope the above is useful for those who want to DIY these very useful accessories to your imaging.
christopher
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Thanks, Remus! Learned something new today!
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

I called up Nejilock:
An A4 is about $65 inclusive of inverter
An A3 (for the 8" and up scopes) is about $110

Anyone wants to do a group buy? :)
DON'T PANIC
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

cloud_cover wrote:I called up Nejilock:
An A4 is about $65 inclusive of inverter
An A3 (for the 8" and up scopes) is about $110

Anyone wants to do a group buy? :)
pls count me in if someone could help to EMS the thing to me in the jungle... thanks ;-)