D&K's Stars and Planets by Ian Ridpath now more expensiv

Have a scope to sell? Or wanna find a good deal? This is your place to buy, sell or trade astro stuff!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

D&K's Stars and Planets by Ian Ridpath now more expensiv

Post by Airconvent »

D&K's Stars and Planets by Ian Ridpath is THE book to own if you want quick access to star charts in very readable format.

I was at Kinokuniya and just discovered that its price has gone up signicantly.
It used to sell for between $26-$28 but now its retailing at $40!

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Is it the book that is small in size, but quite thick with colour star chart?? I saw it at border... it is selling at thirty something.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
bodoh

Post by bodoh »

$39 to be exact but managed to find an older but identical version there at $34. Very good book for the beginner. Using it now to learn my way around the constellations.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

bodoh wrote:$39 to be exact but managed to find an older but identical version there at $34. Very good book for the beginner. Using it now to learn my way around the constellations.
yes...it has the author's face printed on the inside of the backcover.
there is another version not by D&K that looks similar, also called Stars and Planets by the same author but that version is thicker and more expensive..
both editions can be seen at Borders under their "astronomy" section.

btw, the book used to cost less than $30! I wonder why the price increase...
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I have compare both version and from what I can tell, they are both identical. I think the different is that one is US version and the other is UK version. I have the UK version which is the cheaper ones that sell in borders... S$34. I know that because my version spells "colour"... if your version is the US version, it should spell "color"... hee hee :P :P

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

weixing wrote:Hi,
I have compare both version and from what I can tell, they are both identical. I think the different is that one is US version and the other is UK version. I have the UK version which is the cheaper ones that sell in borders... S$34. I know that because my version spells "colour"... if your version is the US version, it should spell "color"... hee hee :P :P

Have a nice day.
Hi weixing
DK is a UK company and yes..my book spell it "correctly" as "colour" :-0
and oh no...the other one I saw is definitely not the US version of the same book as its from a different publisher and the book is about 50% thicker.

this is the "other" book by ian ridpath with the same title that i was talking about..:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0691089 ... eader-link
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I think the book that you saw is a different book. Anyway, any field guide is good as long as you understand it, like it style and use it... normally it will last you a life time, unless you are looking at planets, you lost it or you use until it "melt".... hee hee :P

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
newbgalore2

Post by newbgalore2 »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0691089 ... eader-link

Stars and planets by ian ridpath and wil trion----the book owns. its much more concise than DK's version and provides a lot of valuable information. It's also much more worth it than DK's version at the same price. Plus it includes more messier objects and more detail on stars. even include section on planets with more detail than DK's one also. If you want to buy DK version buy this one instead.
hlyf

Post by hlyf »

Anyway, any field guide is good as long as you understand it, like it style and use it...
yeah i agree.. right now i'm using Stars (hmm also by ian ridpath and wil tirion) published under the Collins Gem series. bought from kinokuniya for about $16+. i liked it cos it was literally a pocket book, can fit into pocket and carry around. it's just diagrams of all the constellations with a short description of DSOs in each, no info or stuff which i figure i won't read when i'm out observing anyway :P