Observation Sites

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
Razsky

Observation Sites

Post by Razsky »

[highlight=red]***Update
[/highlight]
I have consolidated all the few replies and tried to mark out the positions on a map. Hopefully, this will give us all a better picture.

Would appreciate if i could have some feedback or suggestions.. Please do keep the contributions coming so that i can keep the map updated! Please note that you must be specific in describing your location. Only then will i be able to locate it on the map.

Singastro Obs Sites (Map)

**note
I may have tagged some locations wrongly, please inform me should you notice these errors.. thanks!
**mod
Is it possible for me to embed the map in this post? Thanks! =)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Guys..

I managed to get some time for some obs few days ago and had some difficulties to finding a good site. Was thinking if it would be beneficial if we were to compile a list of known observations sites? This will apply more to the heartland areas that most go to for a short session. I think it will allow more mini-sidewalks sessions to be held easier...

For example, in Yishun, my usual spot would be at Lower Seletar Park. I will normally be at the new look out area which extends from the Amphitheater. Another spot will be a grass patch in Sembawang Park.

This list, together with Gary's Singastro Location Map should allow us to coordinate with each other a lot easier. It can also save one's effort in trying to locate a good obs site by pooling our resources together.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Kai Long [smilie=cheer.gif]
Last edited by Razsky on Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
650mm, 130mm Vixen R130Sf f/5 Newtonian on Porta
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

Good idea! My spot is the big open field opposite bedok reservoir! Less than 3 mins drive to home [smilie=ahaaah.gif]
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Kai Long. I fully support your idea. If everyone contribute theirs in this thread, we shall have a nice list soon.

Here's mine from Toa Payoh area:

1. Toa Payoh Town Park. 2 mins walk from Toa Payoh MRT/Bus interchange. Near carpark.
2. Long Sky Garden stretch at level 12 at block 79. Open to public. Some of the lights off after midnight. 7-eleven and 24hr coffeeshop (with restrooms) at ground level. Nice long stretch of granite seats, tables and chairs. Near multi-storey carpak.
3. Toa Payoh Central open area outside library. Big patch of open sky overhead. 24/7 macdonalds (with restroom), 24/7 shop n save minimart. Near carpark and taxi stand.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
swimaniac

Post by swimaniac »

Here's mine:

1) Blk 135A Multi Storey Car Park - Pasir Ris St 11
2) Open Field next to blk 129 Pasir Ris St 11

and still looking - maybe Pasir Ris Park.
Swim or Sink
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

And here's mine, for the downtown area:

(1) The open field bounded by Sherwood Road and Harding Lane. Sherwood Road is a left turn at the far end of Minden Road, which in turn is accessed from Holland Road opposite the Botanic Gardens. The field is quite large and dark and has quite unobstructed views to the south, west and east, with views to the north partly obstructed by tall trees. Parking would be along Harding Lane or the small carparking area behind St George's Church at the entrance of Harding Lane.

(Note: Google Maps misidentifies Sherwood Rd as part of Harding Road.)

I think this field can be considered a replacement for our lost obs area at the nearby Dempsey barracks.

(2) The open area bounded by Prince Charles Square and Jervois Lane. Enter this area from Alexander Road via Prince Charles Crescent, or from Jervois Road.

There! If others know of other obs places in the downtown area, pls post about it here.
Razsky

Post by Razsky »

**update

included obs map..
oxygn

Post by oxygn »

hey how about the lim chu kang cemetry? its not too bad. Muslim path 17
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Kai Long. I just saw your obs map. Very nicely done! Keep up the good work! I think for embedding this map here, the HTML option for your post needs to be switched on by the admin/mods.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Razsky

Post by Razsky »

*updated
-Muslim path 17

Thanks! Hopefully more will contribute soon and we can have a neat map going!

[smilie=cheer.gif]