Drift alignment for dummies

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
orly_andico

Drift alignment for dummies

Post by orly_andico »

I have finally managed to get a dead-on polar alignment! [smilie=admire.gif]

and this is using only one star (since it's so cloudy these days and my balcony has a limited view)

And all it took was a software called "WebCamScheinern" ("WebCamSeem")

http://wcs.ruthner.at/index-en.php

You need a webcam, Meade DSI, or DMK/DBK camera, and you need to know the calibration star's declination. That's it! makes drift alignment trivial. There's a bug in the instructions though, it says during correction, "put the star on the red line with your handset, then use the azimuth screws to move the star to the green line." For some reason, this didn't work for me, but when I reversed it (put the star on the green line with the HC, move it to the red line with the screws) I got a dead-on polar alignment.

It is not free, but there is a 30-day trial. And being able to drift-align in 10 minutes seems well worth the moolah (I haven't paid yet though).
cataclysm

Re: Drift alignment for dummies

Post by cataclysm »

Hi, thanks for sharing this info.
Bergkamp_
Favourite scope: Telescope that i can bring out

Post by Bergkamp_ »

nice~! looks like i gonna try it out soon~
Wee Ern aRmeD wiF Telescope reAdY tO taKe ovEr thE skY .. wIF jUst mY naKed eYEs .
PETER LOO
Favourite scope: TS APO Refractor

Post by PETER LOO »

Thanks Orly for sharing. i'm using another method, which i called "Lagi Simple method". In polar alignment, the main idea is to make the equatorial mount head parallel with the earth rotational axis (in 3 dimensional space) which rotate at a rate of 15 deg per hour (X24 = 360 deg).

Preliminary: Place your mount facing North using a Magnetic compass, Balance your scope, Zero scope surface East West, then North South, park scope at home position

a. Dec axis (Y- axis) adjustment:
Check bubble level on the Mount to ensure that it is centre (East West zero as well as North South Zero degree), if not, adjust tripot.
Adjust the Lattitude lever to attain 1.25 deg reading on digital level meter placed on counter weight or counter weight shaft (the later is more accurate but read 88.75 deg).

b. Azimuth axis (Z - axis)adjustment: Activate your GOTO and let the mount goto a bright known star eg. Capella
Look into live view window or other capture screen for the known star & bring it to the center of the screen using the 2 Azimuth adjustment knobs near the base.

c. RA axis (X-axis) switch on the Mount motor drive, this set to rotation at 15 deg/hr & opposite in direction with Earth Rotation.
Sample picture: Taken un-guided 2.5 mins X 15 ISO 800, Scope = Meade 80 ED APO, Cam = Canon 500D mod, Object = m1, Mount = Vixen GPD2, polar aligned by above method

d. Perform an Azimuth Drift - (latest added info @ 2019)
Last edited by PETER LOO on Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mymoon

Post by mymoon »

PETER LOO

maybe a few pictures will help. [smilie=confused.gif]

It is still a hit and miss affair for me, a drift alignment for polar alignment. [smilie=beaten.gif]

cheers
PETER LOO

Post by PETER LOO »

Oops my friend, i meant mymoon, the "lagi easy" method that described above should actually be called mechanical method in finding the Earth Rotational Axis. It works somewhat opposite of using a Polaries to align the mount. I use this method to align the mount 1st, & then it should be pointing at Polaries although we can't see it here... hope it helps.
PETER LOO

Post by PETER LOO »

Okay kawan, here are 2 pics for a start
Last edited by PETER LOO on Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PETER LOO

Post by PETER LOO »

here is two more
Last edited by PETER LOO on Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Nice illustrations. Thanks!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
PETER LOO

Post by PETER LOO »

Thanks for reading Gary. i goto Chaah once a while, which is near to Bekok, heard u have some friends / relative overthere ?
Last edited by PETER LOO on Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.