A Personal Introduction to Singastro

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
amin7074

Post by amin7074 »

yeap! really singastro had exciting history......well done to all the pioneers
cheers :salute:who share their passion and interest to build this small astro community here.And the beauty of all is that you guys are bunch of friendly people who care to share and teach the newbies into exploring (heaven's tonite)........ :D

Btw welcome to Singastro Azri.... :)

Have a Good Day Guys..
amin.
yaoxing

Post by yaoxing »

Hello.... noob here... my first post.... :)

Now.... where do I go from here. Do you guys have non-astro gatherings beside those gazing sessions? Can I join the gazing sessions without a telescope?
mrngbss

Post by mrngbss »

yaoxing wrote:Hello.... noob here... my first post.... :)

Now.... where do I go from here. Do you guys have non-astro gatherings beside those gazing sessions? Can I join the gazing sessions without a telescope?
Sure you can! The old birds here encourage new comers and potential telescope owners to look through the various scopes available before committing to one. Their experience, insight and knowededge is very useful.
Wee Nghee the Pooh
vangel

Post by vangel »

noob again.
I want to see the sky. Been reading a bit, but I will hang around until i meet you guys for the first time for an obs. Am I glad to know we have our own sg astro club. I need to figure out how to really get started, jargons, binoculars or telescopes, i dunno. I know you guys will point me in the right direction :)
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Welcome to Singastro! do check out our faq to kick start your journey to the stars! [smilie=crying2.gif]
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
VeeJay

Re: A Personal Introduction to Singastro

Post by VeeJay »

Hey everyone,

Newbie here! Been lurking for a while, finally decided to sign up because I felt someone had to point out that the Beginners' wiki seems be down :)
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Post by Mariner »

Okay... Got bored and very low activity in the forum recently so I got round to browsing through some threads when I came across this. Makes me appreciate all the hardwork of the admin and mods from starting out in yahoogroups (I supported back then too!) till the present Singastro forums.

Having plunged into my first "big" starship only recently (I dun think my 10x50 binos count), the old birds here have been very supportive in answering all the queries about new stuff I haven't dealt with before. Not to mention the bargains and "kang taos" for old and new equipment!

Hope to continually see the site grow and more members start (and come back) to active status instead of lurking silently. We need a vibrant crowd as the usual few vocals can get sore throuts from time to time. :mryellow:

Good job fellas!
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Mariner wrote:Hope to continually see the site grow and more members start (and come back) to active status instead of lurking silently. We need a vibrant crowd as the usual few vocals can get sore throuts from time to time. :mryellow:
One of many ways to see this site and members grow is for equipment owners to reach out more to the public instead of passively waiting for this growth to happen or lurkers to unlurk magically. :)

Years ago, I was lurking in Singastro Yahoogroup for a while. Unlurked only after being moved by the massive public outreach effort by equipment owners here during Mars Watch 2003.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Gary wrote:Years ago, I was lurking in Singastro Yahoogroup for a while. Unlurked only after being moved by the massive public outreach effort by equipment owners here during Mars Watch 2003.
I remembered that event! I think I still have the "Please Do Not Touch" signboard! We had 2 sessions if memory serves. Gave Tasos a run for its money too. That was when Singastro throught Remus was very active with the Polytechnics which in turn reached out to many of the schools too. Don't think we will be able to hold such a grand event again unless the networking between the various clubs are restored. :)

But one single event's reach over time can't match the weekly sessions that Gary and Davegn organised at Toa Payoh and Bishan Park. Keep it up! :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
emong
Favourite scope: xlt127

Post by emong »

Hi another beginner here, really really new, was hooked to astro 3 days ago :mryellow: , hope to develop my interest more.