beginner scopes

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
spykid27
Favourite scope: meade/celestron

beginner scopes

Post by spykid27 »

what is a good and low cost beginner achromatic? There is a celestron powerseeker series one, but is it good? If anyone got use before can link me to their review?
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Re: beginner scopes

Post by cloud_cover »

What's the budget?
Also, why an achromat? Is it because of the perception that they are cheap?
A word of caution: Achromats are not the best, per se, for looking at planets and bright objects which is precisely what's best seen in light polluted Singapore. Achromats generally excel at wide-field viewing of deep space objects, which unfortunately tend to be fairly washed out in Singapore. One exception is long-focus achromats which have good color correction due to the long focal length but tend to be expensive or bulky requiring expensive mounting.
If budget is really the limiting factor, why not go for a cheaper reflector (which gives more bang for the buck) or simply borrow scopes at star parties and save up for an ED/APO? :)
Consider buying used as well, there usually is a good market from the US but as its now summer season generally prices are higher.
DON'T PANIC
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I think the first question most of us here will ask is: what's your budget?

Basically, there are two type of Achromatic Refractor:
1) Rich field or Fast Achromatic Refractor (Focal ratio f6 and faster): good for wide field viewing, but not so good on planets and lunar at high magnification. Shorter and easier to carry around.

2) General purpose Achromatic Refractor (Focal ratio f8 and slower): Maximum field of view is smaller better rich field Achromatic Refarctor, better colour correction than the rich field Achromatic Refractor, so perform better on planets and lunar at high magnification. Longer and heavier than the rich field Achromatic Refractor with same aperture.

Have a nice day.

PS: Focal Ratio = Telescope Focal Length / Telescope Aperture (diameter). Smaller number = faster and larger number is slower.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

I guess TS intends to start with a budget.

The Celestron Powerseeker series are among the most affordable in Celestron telescopes. I myself started with the 4.5" Powerseeker Newt. Reasonable performance with good aperture size at affordable price.

The Nexstar SLT or LCM series offer GOTO capability too, yet again at affordable price (though most ex than Powerseekers). But that may in turn sustain TS interest in astronomy as finding objects should be easier.

My 2 cts...
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Post by Mariner »

Just an opinion on the GOTO function. It may be nice and convenient but I feel that using it often pampers users too much and beginners may end up being over reliant on it and will not master the basics of locating objects. The feeling of locating an object found via star-hopping is hard to beat.

I'm old school.

My 1c. :mryellow:
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
Gary

Post by Gary »

If your decision is rich field fast achro (see Weixing's reply), can consider the Orion Short Tube ST80mm:
http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Ref ... p/9947.uts

You may also consider using a heavy enough camera tripod and mount as shown in the video or using a slow motion adapter on a decent camera tripod.

Because of its portability over long achro, you may end up using it more frequently and find it easier to bring to overseas to observe under truly dark skies. I will never forget my first view of my 80mm F/5 scope under milky way skies in Johor sweeping the stars at Cygnus and observing the whole dagger of Orion in it.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
spykid27

Post by spykid27 »

thanks people!
my budget is like, around 300 dollars, so it's quite hard to find a good one. however, I have considered getting newtonians, since I heard they have more value 4 money per aperture.
BTW, I heard the powerseeker refractors are not that good.
Gary

Post by Gary »

spykid27 wrote:thanks people!
my budget is like, around 300 dollars, so it's quite hard to find a good one. however, I have considered getting newtonians, since I heard they have more value 4 money per aperture.
BTW, I heard the powerseeker refractors are not that good.
$300 is too low a budget for a brand new decent telescope, accessories like eyepieces, a mount and tripod. 2 suggestions:

(1) Wait and save up a bit more. Go to more sidewalks and starparties and enjoy the telescopes there free of charge and learn more about them. I am sure those sessions will really refine your thought process on what is the best beginner scope suitable to you for your budget. In the meantime, also patiently wait for good deals on used scopes to maximise the value out of your budget.

(2) Get a good $150 -$200 binocular and spend the rest of the money to go to Johor dark sites. You will see much more celestial objects this way. When you have saved up enough for your first telescope in the future, the binocular will still be a keeper and very useful for wide rich views of the night sky.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

I agree with Gary: I have a Nikon Action EX 10x50 that I started out with and I still keep it in my back seat or bring it along with me even though I do have a few good quality scopes from a 4" ED to an 8" SCT.
The Binos are something you can grab a small field chair, plonk down in a slightly darker field or area and simply scan the skies. If you have a smartphone or tablet/laptop, you can even load steallrium/Skysafari and have excellent star charts to cruise with!
Learning star hopping is also much easier with binos due to their much larger FOV
DON'T PANIC
spykid27

Post by spykid27 »

actually, I think binos are great too!
:mryellow: since they can be used for land viewing, I can use them for bird spotting, etc. any info on astro master series?
prehaps I will buy a scope or bino direct from factory in china using yuan. I need to Beware of counterfeits, though... [smilie=evil-smile.gif]