Free Stargazing Talk at TPY Library 21 and 23 Sept 2012

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
Gary

Free Stargazing Talk at TPY Library 21 and 23 Sept 2012

Post by Gary »

Hi Friends.

I have been invited by NLB to conduct a free open-to-public talk on stargazing.

Date: Fri 21 Sept 2012 *and* Sun 23 Sept 2012 (same talk on both nights, not part 1 part 2)
Time: 7.30pm - 8.30pm.
Venue: Toa Payoh Public Library (Programme Zone at Level 1)
Title of Talk: How to Stargaze in Singapore.
Admission is FREE and open to public. No pre-registration required. First come first seated.

This a talk designed to introduce newcomers to stargazing in a fun and enjoyable way. No previous experience of stargazing is required. Simple layman language will be used as far as possible. No note-taking is required as all the useful links mentioned in the talk will be provided as a link to a webpage or in printed paper format. Just need to sit back, relax and enjoy the presentation. :)

What participants will learn during the talk:

- Benefits of stargazing.
- Basic stargazing concepts (e.g. how to read a printed star chart).
- Useful astronomical related phone apps.
- How to choose, research and buy a telescope/binocular that is suitable for one's need and environment.
- Where to stargaze in Singapore. The pros and cons of going to such places.
- What objects are worth observing and how to appreciate them further.
- How to observe the Moon.
- Light pollution and its effects on stargazing and health.
- How to make use of National Library resources to increase stargazing knowledge.
- Upcoming astronomical events to look out for.
- ... and many many more!

Every now and then, we have newcomers joining this forum and ask how to get started in the hobby and avoid the related pitfalls. I have always wondered if only I can spend one hour with them in a comfortable air-conditioned room with a projector and some telescope setups to share some of my limited experiences. Thus, this NLB invitation totally made sense to me and I agreed in a heartbeat.

Though this talk is for newcomers to the hobby, veterans of this forum are most welcomed to attend too. Your feedbacks on how to improve the talk and pointing out factual errors in my presentation will be much appreciated as I hope to conduct such talks in libraries on a regular basis and refine my presentation regularly.

Those who are keen to help out with or without scope or contribute your astrophotos in my presentation are much appreciated and may contact me at gary@astro.sg. Thanks!

Weather permitting, *sidewalk* stargazing session at open space outside the main entrance library (i.e. Toa Payoh Central Amphitheatre) from 7.30pm onwards on 21 and 23 sept 2012.

Please take note of the following:

(1) This sidewalk stargazing session is organised by me as private individual. Not on behalf of NLB or any organisation or society.

(2) This public open space is most probably not booked for any major events on both nights. But in the event it does, the sidewalk session may be shifted to a location slightly further away from it or cancelled altogether.

(3) This stargazing session can begin as early as 7.30pm. There is no need to wait for the talk to finish as this is separate event. Especially if the sky is clear and the quarter Moon is already visible.

(4) Those who are interested to participate with or without scope are most welcomed. Those who are bringing scope please kindly inform me beforehand.

Venue of tmr's stargazing talk - Programme Zone at Level 1 at Toa Payoh Public Library.

Last edited by Gary on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 9 times in total.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Re: Free Stargazing Talk at Toa Payoh Public Library Fri 21/

Post by shirox »

[smilie=good-job.gif]
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Like +1
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Congrats, Gary! Singastro is like Hollywood now..so many stars and celebrities :)
Good of you to have that energy to promote Astronomy to the masses! Hope it was a good session...
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Post by Mariner »

I'd head down to support but I'm on a flight that day....

[smilie=bad-atmosphere.gif]
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Airconvent wrote:Hope it was a good session...
It's on 21 Sep 2012... not over yet leh... ha ha ha :mrgreen:

Anyway, will try to bring down my grab and go setup to support, but no guarantee since it's a working day.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Gary

Post by Gary »

@Shirox - [smilie=cute.gif]

@Acc - Thanks! Hope to see your curry pot on that day. :)

@Airconvent - Thanks! The great support from friends like yourself in this forum is my main source of energy re-generation. :)

@Mariner - No worries. If everything turns out well, there will be more future opportunities to attend such talks. So don't upset your flight planning because of this talk. The very thought you are willing to come and support despite flying that day is already very encouraging in itself. Thanks!

@Weixing - Thanks! Grab and go is most welcomed. Even empty handed is fine. Treat it as a mini astro gathering and enjoy Mooncakes (and cheap Mao Shan Wang durians) under the quarter Moon.

@Clifford - Perhaps we may finally buy up the whole rack (not just a row) of Mao Shan Wangs on that evening at a great discount. Haha. :)

Also thanks to those who write to me via private emails, twitter and whatsapp. I hope the presentation on that day will live up to your expectations. More details coming up soon, stay tuned!

-- John Dobson.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

weixing wrote:Hi,
Airconvent wrote:Hope it was a good session...
It's on 21 Sep 2012... not over yet leh... ha ha ha :mrgreen:

Anyway, will try to bring down my grab and go setup to support, but no guarantee since it's a working day.

Have a nice day.

!! And so it is! Thanks for correcting me..thought I missed it :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
lotsafruit

Post by lotsafruit »

That's great! Hope I can make it down to learn something,meet some fellow stargazers,drool over scopes and have a great time ! Durians and makan are always nearby just in case...lol
Cheers
Kah Wai
Owner of bino + C6 150mm f5 newt + 2kids
Gary

Post by Gary »

lotsafruit wrote:That's great! Hope I can make it down to learn something,meet some fellow stargazers,drool over scopes and have a great time ! Durians and makan are always nearby just in case...lol
Thanks for the encouragement and do have a great time mingling with other amateur astronomers! You will learn how to open a durian with an eyepiece. :P

-- John Dobson.