Which Autoguiding Package?

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
beastmaster

Re: Which Autoguiding Package?

Post by beastmaster »

beastmaster wrote:
orly_andico wrote:Are you using a C8 standard or an EDGE?

If the standard, use the ordinary 0.63 reducer from Celestron.

If an EDGE, you can use the Optec 0.7X or the new Celestron one.

Since you're determined to use your C8, I'd say pay very close attention to balancing and polar alignment. And of course the longer the guide scope the better. They "say" the Lacerta MGEN stand-alone guider is the most sensitive one, but I have not used it personally. Might be worth looking in to so you don't need a laptop.

Between the QHY5 and the DMK/DBK... I have seen lots of folks using the DMK/DBK cameras for high resolution planetary imaging. Plus you can use it with Metaguide if you want to try that route. I am not sure if the QHY5 has a Directshow driver to use with Metaguide.

But then I'm using an absolutely ancient Meade DSI (first version) as an autoguider, and it works fine. I believe your choice of guide camera is not that critical, either the DMK/DBK or the QHY5 would work. I would go with whichever is cheaper.

There's a guy "oldstargazer" on the CN forums (oops.. here I go again.. :mrgreen: ) who claims to get 2 minutes unguided with a C8 on a CG-5. So it's probably possible.

Good luck!

oh. If you intend to image in Malaysia going forward, do get a dew heater for your C8 as well.
That Schmidt corrector dews up alarmingly fast over there.

hmmm... something new again.

This one has Canon EOS control... a direct control to Canon DSLR... pretty neat
Ok just saw the price.... pretty cool also... 549 EUR