Beginner's Scope - Skywatcher 130mm Truss Dob

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
depardeuz
Favourite scope: 60x 80mm Spotting Scope

Re: Beginner's Scope - Skywatcher 130mm Truss Dob

Post by depardeuz »

Update

Received Mcgill reply this morning. They offered 3 options 1)They will send a replacement primary mirror at no extra cost as the scope is still under warranty 2)They will give a $100 rebate on the purchase but scope remain status quo 3) Full refund but I need to bring the whole gooblygook to their drop off point at Bedok for them to pick up.

I chose option 1 since I still get to keep the scope and have the chance to go through actual change of the primary mirror and the collimation process. If I get to keep the original mirror, I will probably attempt to wash it?! See how....
Seize the day!
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Glad they offered a good recovery! :-)

I am going to a dark sky site in Java in Apr; this looks like a robust, portable, excellent, yet cheap-enough scope to bring along.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Let us know how it tolerates high power :) I currently use a 5" Mak as my travel scope but that means a rather bulky tripod as well...
DON'T PANIC
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

aha! you can sell the used primary to someone who wants to do a DIY.

$100 is probably not a bad price.
Gary

Post by Gary »

@depardeuz Thanks for taking the time and effort to share your purchasing experience here. I think the lesson we can all learn from this is the importance of taking sufficient time to physically inspect the condition of the goods at the point of delivery. This is to the benefit of both the buyer and seller.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
depardeuz

Post by depardeuz »

Yup, Gary. Ideally, I wuld want to be around when they deliver. I guess in reality, it is kinda difficult unless we put down everything else at work etc. So Bo Pian Act ( " No Choice" in hokkien). Can only inspect the goods after it delivers. I guess this round, i have been fortunate that the dealer, has honoured its warrenty!
Seize the day!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Just thinking out loud... with today's technology, perhaps the person collecting the scope can take a photo of it and whatsapp to you during delivery or maybe even live video through smart phones. Or perhaps the dealer can be more pro-active and offer this service to you instead! At least just one photo of the primary lens/mirror. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
depardeuz

Post by depardeuz »

@acc:

The truss system does have the problem of allowing stray light from the surroundings reflecting off its secondary mirror. A shroud is a must have. Unless you decide to acquire its twin... a Skywatcher 130p OTA but I heard it is a spherical primary mirror instead of a parabolic one. Of course, there are views saying spherical vs parabolic over such a focal length doesn't really matter.

@cloud_cover

I will try. Probably push it to x300 with stacked barlow or a Baader 5mm with 5x telextender and see if I will get an empty magnification. Probably... Lol!
Seize the day!
depardeuz

Post by depardeuz »

Gary wrote:Just thinking out loud... with today's technology, perhaps the person collecting the scope can take a photo of it and whatsapp to you during delivery or maybe even live video through smart phones. Or perhaps the dealer can be more pro-active and offer this service to you instead! At least just one photo of the primary lens/mirror. :)

That's a good idea. But photo can still be deceiving. I discover while taking photo of this mirror, one could have minimise the particles on it by shooting at certain angles too. But then again, this is still a good idea!
Seize the day!
depardeuz

Post by depardeuz »

cloud_cover wrote:Let us know how it tolerates high power :) I currently use a 5" Mak as my travel scope but that means a rather bulky tripod as well...

@cloud_cover

But you 5" Mak gives a higher performance view of planets etc with that long focal length which this scope will not be able to do. Give and take. :)

For this scope, I have recently ordered a Skywatcher Synscan AZ GOTO mount. It has yet to arrive to Singapore. Ok, I did mentioned to Gary about doing manual tracking of the objects but this system is too enticing.. [smilie=admire2.gif]
Seize the day!