Beginner's Scope - Skywatcher 130mm Truss Dob

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Gary

Re: Beginner's Scope - Skywatcher 130mm Truss Dob

Post by Gary »

We had a very fruitful session with this 130p last night at Bishan Park sidewalk.

Did laser collimation, double check with a cheshire collimator and performed a quick off-focus star test collimation at 260x (baader 5mm + 2x barlow). The visuals were amazing after that. Pin-point sharp stars on-axis. Split castor very cleanly. Symmetrical airy discs observed for all stars at high magnification. Seeing was decent last night. Sirius shined like a bright diamond with light rays spiking symmetrically outwards through the dob.

Very slight coma observed from about 60% away through the mid-range Baader 24mm. Quite impressive considering this is a F/5 scope. Can't wait to see the off-axis performance in premium eyepieces and coma correctors. And there is still room for better collimation if we had more time! :)

A pic of the Moon through this scope (before star test collimation) with my shaky hands holding the phone camera:

The blue fringing is most probably due to my phone camera lens. Visually through the scope, it is not there.

Starting to fall in love with this scope at this price range, portability and large no-tool collimation thumbscrews for the primary mirror. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
lotsafruit

Post by lotsafruit »

Last night came back late from work after 9, sky was very clear and orion belt,moon,plenty stars clearly visible overhead with naked eye. Damn! Wish i had a scope with me then, damn tempted to upgrade from my bino...:D
Cheers
Kah Wai
Owner of bino + C6 150mm f5 newt + 2kids
depardeuz
Favourite scope: 60x 80mm Spotting Scope

Post by depardeuz »

Saw some telescope enthusiast changing out the stock Newtonian secondary mirror collimation screws with thumb screws. Apparently, finding the suitable thumbscrews in Singapore is a big challenge and even if I should find them, it would be a bit pricey. [smilie=bleeding.gif]

So I made a trip to Fairprice and bought myself some Home Proud brand "Nuts and Bolts" set ($1.95).

Select the D4mm x L25mm screw

Change out the stock collimation screws

Now, I can do away with the troublesome Allen key. Just need to bring along a Phillips Screw!

The screw head stuck slightly out in the front

But they did not affect the stock dust cover!! [smilie=ahaaah.gif]

Should the screws get rounded (very unlikely), I could easily replace them and without costing much!

Happy Lunar New Year and hopefully, you all have a great Valentine's yesterday! :mryellow:
Seize the day!
alweek
Favourite scope: Nexstar 4se

Post by alweek »

Hmmm, just an observation. Isn't an Allen key much smaller than a screwdriver? ;)

I think it's a case of "I did it cause I can!"

Heheh, I'm like that too!

Clear skies!
depardeuz
Favourite scope: 60x 80mm Spotting Scope

Post by depardeuz »

Yes!! :) The Allen key may be small but when you are collimating, it is rather flimsy to use, at least for me. And the stock collimation screw lies deep in the secondary mirror holder. Should the contact betwen the screw and the Allen key becomes rounded, I will not be able to perform colimation again. And the Philips screw is easier to find at the ob site! :-) Lose an Allen key, you may have to get a new set. Lose a Philips screw driver, just find another in your tool box. For me, I would use the shorty type of Philips screwdriver.
Seize the day!
theanswer03

Post by theanswer03 »

Hi guys,

I'm a beginner and looking for a basic scope on a limited budget. If anyone wants to sell this scope to upgrade, could you please let me know? Thanks. I can be reached at 96456935!

Cheers
shawnbennet

Post by shawnbennet »

Clifford60 wrote:
Jim McGill wrote: .....
Would appreciate that you understand our (the seller’s) predicament too. We need concrete and detailed information on any issue so that we can present a good explanation to Sky-Watcher, thus helping you to get the most out of the situation. Who knows Sky-Watcher or any factory/supplier may turn nasty against us if they feel we are making a mountain out of a molehill if we just say “Why is your primary mirror so dirty!!!” Sorry if you feel we are defensive. At the end of the day, we’re trying our best to do a good job! Who will want to have a dissatisfied customer talking bad about our company in forums right? Haha...
The latest batch of Sky-Watcher Heritage 130P@S$360nett is available now. To ensure a happy buyer/seller relationship, all Heritage telescopes have to be picked up near our warehouse in Bedok. There is no home/office delivery for this product. Customer has the divine right to inspect every detail, including the optics to ensure the telescope meets all their requirements BEFORE purchase and handing over of $$$. Comes with 1-year local warranty for your peace of mind.
Jim, McGill.
http://www.mcgill.com.sg
Hi Jim,

You are doing a business in Singapore and there is such a law in Singapore known as "LEMON" law. As a professional seller, it is your duty to ensure that the products you sell are well inspected and tested to ensure good quality before even it is bring it out to the customer. By sending a "LEMON" to the customer and then provide this kind of customer service and reply is totally unacceptable in this service driven market. Whether or not your supplier will honor the claim, it is your duty to convince them and under the "LEMON" law it is also your duty to get a "LEMON" fix, replace or refund.

By the statements above, you are simply pushing the responsibility to the customer and so defensive. I think the forumers here are more interested on when will you be fixing the problem and not the defensive explanation. Here is a very small market, it doesn't help you with such reply especially in an open forum.

Today, even the famous Sim Lim Square has a booth for unhappy customers to feedback and claim. Lucky Plaza is thinking of such booth too. I hope we don't need one in Bedok. LOL

Wish you all the best in your astro business.
I agree with you as some points you described are really true which are making me to come here and appreciate. Because i am at the same situation as mcgill and my friend told me to do research on google and i found you.