Damaged Ep

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Damaged Ep

Post by Airconvent »

Actually you can give it to Gary to be used as a demo piece for his talk too......recycling ! haha
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Gary

Post by Gary »

Airconvent wrote:Actually you can give it to Gary to be used as a demo piece for his talk too......recycling ! haha
Hahaha. We are planning something interesting with this eyepiece. Stay tuned... :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,Dave
The -cracking of the lens- is kind of unexpected because years ago(actually around 1979/1980)
when I build my first solar scope,I did use a 40mm diameter lens-objective- and actually CONCENTRATE the light on various lens,eyepieces(THEN,only have 0.96 type),filters and tested its effect including using thermometer,touch etc -befor I use my eye!.It gets pretty hot but none crack.
If you dont mind(never mind selling or not),I definitely like to open up the ep and see really what happened.If I am not mistaken,none of the lens in hyperion 24mm ep has diameter bigger than 40mm.So when can I met you?;as I always want to learn sth new and always interested what the sun can give.Thanks.
wucheeyiun

Post by wucheeyiun »

I think there is an unequal heat induced matter expansion of metal barrel , glass lens and metal retaining ring material causing the lens to stress and to crack internally...