My Astrophotography Progress (in random order)

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
DarthCryder
Favourite scope: Nikon 85mm/f1.4 lens

Re: My Astrophotography Progress (in random order)

Post by DarthCryder »

is this a meteor?

shot at 85mm/f2.8, iso1600, 4secs, 1.41am on 13/8.

was shuffling lenses of 17mm, 35mm & 85mm the whole nite, so i dun even noe this 85mm shot was pointing at where(shld be between N & E). all i noe was, my 85mm was more for "special object" like M31, M42 etc. This was my 4th sequence shot, 1st 2 was pointing SW shooting Sagittarius/Scorpio, by the 3rd sequence, i shld have pointed back to NE direction but i can't rmb though which constellation i'm pointing at.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Wow! Interesting. Might be. How accurate is your camera clock compared to the atomic clock? Some of us saw a meteor from Bishan Park on the same morning at about 1:44am and one witness mentions that it looks GREEN to him!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
DarthCryder

Post by DarthCryder »

Gary wrote:Wow! Interesting. Might be. How accurate is your camera clock compared to the atomic clock? Some of us saw a meteor from Bishan Park on the same morning at about 1:44am and one witness mentions that it looks GREEN to him!
ever since i got my cam & adjusted to atomic clock std abt 1 yr ago, it has nv been adjusted. thus i could assumed it is within 5mins accuracy.

pity that it was shot with a medium tele-lens, thus unable to know exactly wat did i aiming at. using stellarium configured with a 85mm view, i tried to match stars from northwest to north to northeast but unable to find a match. i suspect it's could be cassiopeia thou it didnt match with other stars.
looyaa

Post by looyaa »

Not sure whether this is the same meteor. But I was one of witnesses that Gary mentioned.

Some details maybe can help to determine whether this was the same one: the meteor I saw definitely looks greenish in color. I was lying on the floor with legs pointing towards north and looking up at zenith when it flash by. It flew from northeast to southeast direction. Its flight path is definitely beyond Altair and perhaps slightly more after zenith. Hope this helps :)
DarthCryder

Post by DarthCryder »

looyaa wrote:Not sure whether this is the same meteor. But I was one of witnesses that Gary mentioned.

Some details maybe can help to determine whether this was the same one: the meteor I saw definitely looks greenish in color. I was lying on the floor with legs pointing towards north and looking up at zenith when it flash by. It flew from northeast to southeast direction. Its flight path is definitely beyond Altair and perhaps slightly more after zenith. Hope this helps :)
Finally i knew where i was point at! using the DSSed version without the "meteor" in and comparing with Stellarium...

Gary

Post by Gary »

Nice CSI work. So it was SW direction instead of NE.

-- John Dobson.
DarthCryder

Post by DarthCryder »

taken at 9pm earlier...
1/60s at f/4.0, iso 400
guess the shutter speed was a bit slow, thus the moon was not sharp.

then a few minutes later...
1/125s at f/4.0, iso 400
moon was at least sharper.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Nice shots! Cool effect of jet exhaust over the Moon. Thanks for sharing!

-- John Dobson.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

the long line is not a meteor.

it's a satellite. meteors normally don't last that long and their trails aren't that straight.

if you check heavens-above.com you can find out what satellites were overhead for the date/time the photo was taken. but it's probably an Iridium satellite.
DarthCryder

Post by DarthCryder »

orly_andico wrote:the long line is not a meteor.

it's a satellite. meteors normally don't last that long and their trails aren't that straight.

if you check heavens-above.com you can find out what satellites were overhead for the date/time the photo was taken. but it's probably an Iridium satellite.
oic… hahaha, thanks ah! now maybe i can try shooting satellite trail too!