Rental of telescope

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
joon

Rental of telescope

Post by joon »

Hi everyone!

I'm really new to this forum and to astronomy alike but I'm always fascinated by the heavens. It is just unfortunate that I do not have too many opportunities to really get into star gazing and astronomy. I was wondering, for starters, would it be possible for me to borrow any low end telescope just to meddle around and look at the sky with? if not, are there any shops that actually rents telescopes? That would be an awesome experience for me to see how it is like to really see the light in the sky :)

Joon
qwins14
Favourite scope: Still searching for a favourite

Re: Rental of telescope

Post by qwins14 »

I think Gary (?) has a loan program. the telescope is a 70mm one so it should suffice. but you'll have to queue for it as there is a waiting list.
joshuapzkpfw
Favourite scope: C8 XLT

Post by joshuapzkpfw »

HI Joon,

Qwins is right. Gary has this telescope rental programme where beginners and new comers are able to rent a scope from him, see link below:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12020&p=82137&hilit=gary#p82137

The scope concerned for rental is the Celestron Firstscope with a focal length of 300mm and aperture of 76mm (do watch the video in the link!) The scope is really portable and it can give you great views of the moon. On nights with exceptional viewing condition, Jupiter with its' four moons and Saturn can be seen (although they may appear really small!) I personally think it is a great starter scope to begin exploring the heavens with!

Clear Skies
Joshua
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Joon. Welcome to the forum!

In addition to the Celestron Firstscope, I am also renting out for free the Celestron Powerseeker 76mm AZ with better quality eyepieces (http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/cele ... scope.html). Send me an email for more info and the waiting queue status.

Thanks to the kind support and donations from my astro friends, may have more astro gear for free loan in 2014.

Do join as many public stargazing sessions as possible to check your interest in this wonderful hobby!

@qwins14 and @joshuapzkpfw - Thanks for the referral. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.