Borg 67FL

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
skc

Borg 67FL

Post by skc »

Not really a "discussion", but *new toy*:

Borg 67FL with reducer by Stuart Croy, on Flickr

f/2.95! Woo hoo!
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Re: Borg 67FL

Post by antares2063 »

looks cute...guess its a purely for imaging ? or can it be used as visual instrument?

Regards,
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
KKK26
Favourite scope: All nice scopes

Post by KKK26 »

So cute. poison :mryellow:
skc

Post by skc »

antares2063 wrote:looks cute...guess its a purely for imaging ? or can it be used as visual instrument?

Regards,
Junwei
The 67FL was announced on the Japanese Borg blog, and then on the Hutech blog shortly after, but I think the details of the sets are still not on the main site(s).

I already have a lot of Borg parts, so can use it at its native focal length (300mm) with eyepieces, so I just ordered the objective assembly and a couple other parts to use with the reducers I already have. There are sets available with suitable tubes and a helicoid to use at it's native focal length. One set is for photography - mainly birding. WIth this you get a camera adapter for your chosen mount. The other set is for astro use, and you get a 2" eyepiece adapter. Both of these sets use the 60mm diameter tubes, but you can also use 80mm diameter tubes (sold separately), and probably the "BU-1" tube too. I doubt I'll use this for anything other than astrophotography. I wouldn't be surprised if Hutech offered a bino version.

Borg is like lego. You can choose to go for a Crayford focuser instead of (or in addition to) a helicoid, but generally these are not available in a set.

The photo above shows a short 80mm diameter tube and a couple of adapters to attach the M57 helicoid to provide plenty of back focus for the reducers. The 0.7x multi reducer wasn't designed for such a short focal length, so it's only recommended for use up to APS-C sized sensors (normally it covers "full frame"). You can also use the 0.85x reducer. Apparently there will be a flattener to match the scope released next year. Presumably like most Borg flatteners and reducers it will be adjustable to cover a range of focal lengths - the current ones (excluding the new M42 one) all cover much longer focal lengths. I'm using the 0.66x DGT reducer, which is adjustable all the way down to 300mm and covers APS-C. I've not had a chance to try this out yet.

The FL (50FL, 67FL, 71FL) series objectives are Fluorite doublets (not FPL-53 or other glass) and made by Canon Optron (who also do the objectives for Tak and some of the Canon L series lenses). Pentax Optotech made the objective for the 125SD, and also the optics for the 0.66x DGT reducer (no longer available - there's now a 0.7x reducer that covers full 35mm frame). These were all described on the Borg blog/site at some point, so are "official".
The "ED" and achromat series, as far as I've been able to find out, are all made by "Fujii Optics" (http://www.fujii-kg.co.jp/) in Japan. Note the extra "i", this is not Fuji aka Fujifilm as some have claimed. I think I found this on a Japanese forum/blog, so it's not official.

Cheers,
Stuart
skc

Post by skc »

KKK26 wrote:So cute. poison :mryellow:
Yep. :D I think I'll sell my 180/2.8ED Nikkor, and 60ED.
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

thanks for your detailed explanation Stuart :) so awesome that Borg can mix and match , as well as the detailed info on lens manufacturers

regards,
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

I have been trying to hold off the purchase of the 67FL...