Opinion on Kenko binoculars

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
shinji

Opinion on Kenko binoculars

Post by shinji »

Hi all,

Have been silently reading this forum for some time. Decided to create an account to seek some opinions from the veterans and experts here.

Do you have any knowledge or experience on handling Kenko binoculars? Specifically I'm looking into these models:

http://www.kenkoglobal.com/optics/water ... _7x50.html
http://www.kenkoglobal.com/optics/water ... x42_w.html

Besides starwatching, these are few of the points I'm considering, in case anybody asks.

1. For daytime use, I plan to use it for scenery viewing mostly. Not doing birdwatching so zoom bino not necessary.
2. Waterproof. I plan to bring it to the sea/beach. Resistance to salt spray/air would be great. Otherwise preferably easy to clean.
3. Good eye relief. I'm speccy. [smilie=cool.gif]
4. Weight. I've handheld demo sets (other model/brands) up to ~800gms. Anything above 1kg is too heavy for me.
5. Cost. I'm looking at around SGD200 plus. I hope not to exceed $300.

Thanks for reading this!
orly_andico

Re: Opinion on Kenko binoculars

Post by orly_andico »

Kenko is a Japanese company. I know that their binoculars are made in Philippines because I bought two pairs from their plant over ten years ago (Pentax camera bodies are also Made in Philippines).

I used to have a pair of these Kenko binoculars that cost me $50 back then. They were OK. But for under $200 why not buy the Nikon Action Extreme line? (made in China.. read into that what you will)
shinji

Post by shinji »

Hi orly_andico,

Thanks for the reply. How did the Kenko feel and perform after prolonged use of those pairs that you bought? Does it 'spoil' easily?

I had a quick look at the Nikon Action EX line specs. Seems heavy. I see if I can test out a demo set.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

They were definitely not as good as the Nikon Action EX. Since the Nikons are only about $120 USD for the 8x40, it's my current favorite. And weatherproof.