Self made modular system

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
superiorstream

Re: Self made modular system

Post by superiorstream »

And not only that.....since I took up the hobby
since 10, I had quite some old bino with fungus
Porro prism.Thus reviving these as monocular
and with roof prism for terrestial use and then
removing it when used astronomically is very
good. Well just did that as the collection of
camera thread rings are available.Succeeded
and now have monocular with aperture
25,30,40,45,50,60,70,80,100mm
All converted from old bino.The fact that its
Modular made transporting it easy.
Now both telescope and small monoscope
can be boxed and carry on to buses.
Its lighter too with only one disadvantage. ....
Aperture cannot exceed 100mm....the largest
camera thread available now.
wucheeyiun

Post by wucheeyiun »

nice work Chia..do you need to flock the internal tube? Will there will be any internal light deflections due to the numerous rings lines? cool !
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi Chee Yuin
There is no need to flock the interior. Since I am in control of the diameter of the tube used,all I need do is to use a 'match' diameter to FINALLY block
all those unwanted reflection. This will make it simple and also facilitate easy installation of the
roof prism for normal viewing.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Finally this modular concept is extended to use those old..small diameter...filter rings and adapter
rings like 27m to 37f to mount those bino,microscope and 0.965 eyepieces to our
1 1/4 telescope eyepieces. Did that and its a total success.Pls see the upcoming photos . Thank s.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi All
Thanks koko for the sale of some branded binocular and hence making the final chapter of such scope possible.
Of the eight old binocular, dismantle 6 of them....... Only left the Russian one which had stuck dead thread and the 21mm olympus which uses a 21mm objective lens., too small for any purpose.
The rest have the objective taken out and converted into monocular, many with roof prism for terrestrial uses and direct straight tube use for astronomical uses.
Unlike the cheaper brand that at maximum can take 5mm eyepiece, its discovered that branded scope brand like kowa, asahi pentax,..... Can even take on 3.5mm eyepieces with clear image. Previously those unbranded I made can the most take on 5mm and some even as low as 11 to 20mm.Well this completes my experience in making such monocular.
Of course, it will me nice to be able to test what level one can get to with leica and nikon lens..... But give the price constraints I guess that's the maximum I can do.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Another aspect.... The binocular eyepieces. To be continued.......
KKK26
Favourite scope: All nice scopes

Post by KKK26 »

superiorstream wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:07 pm Hi All
Thanks koko for the sale of some branded binocular and hence making the final chapter of such scope possible.
Of the eight old binocular, dismantle 6 of them....... Only left the Russian one which had stuck dead thread and the 21mm olympus which uses a 21mm objective lens., too small for any purpose.
The rest have the objective taken out and converted into monocular, many with roof prism for terrestrial uses and direct straight tube use for astronomical uses.
Unlike the cheaper brand that at maximum can take 5mm eyepiece, its discovered that branded scope brand like kowa, asahi pentax,..... Can even take on 3.5mm eyepieces with clear image. Previously those unbranded I made can the most take on 5mm and some even as low as 11 to 20mm.Well this completes my experience in making such monocular.
Of course, it will me nice to be able to test what level one can get to with leica and nikon lens..... But give the price constraints I guess that's the maximum I can do.
Glad to know bino are useful for your project, collected too many bino for decade and didn't use.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

The eyepiece from bino project completed. What I learned is
1)bino ep are not too suitable for use in telescopes as there is always a out of focus edge. Hence only a few ep turn up useful., all around the 25mm to 30mm.
2)ep obtainable from bino ranges from 8mm....approx to 30mm approx.
3)tube enclosure technique were used to create the mounting of such eyepieces.
4)costwise not that feasible, but do for the fun of it and found that such techniques can be used for microscope eyepieces...... Hence useful.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Also, as for the scope, the main benefits are
1)created a modular system, hence highly portable.
2)created the lightweight 80mm f4 and the 100mm f4 that is superlight weight. Also by being able to shorten the tube at will and also able to adjust the internal diameter of the tube., I create monocular with field of view from 5 degree to as much as 15 degrees. This makes scanning the sky for objects easy and enable scaning using HANDHELD SCOPES.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Project ended.... 23 sept 2020.