DIY All-Sky Camera w Raspberry Pi and QHY5

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
geyes30

DIY All-Sky Camera w Raspberry Pi and QHY5

Post by geyes30 »

I bought a couple of Raspberry Pi 2's a few months ago and have been looking for a project in which to deploy them. I've decided to go with an All-Sky Camera since it is pretty easy, and I have a QHY5 lying around (it has been displaced from its role as a guide cam by the ASI224MC). The actual idea is simple. Raspberry Pi runs OACapture, which is an open source software for astronomy applications. Turns out there is native support for QHY5 so that works out great. Since this is an all-sky cam, it has to endure the elements. This calls for casings including a dome (bought a fake security camera dome from Qoo10 for 6 bucks), a tupperware to hold the Raspberry Pi, and a fisheye lens (one came with the ASI224MC, but the C- to T-mount adapter was too thick. I 3D printed a plastic ring and just jammed the thing in!). Control of the camera needs to be wireless, so I have a Wifi adapter that provides connection to a laptop (currently via the wireless router, but eventually I will figure out how to set up a direct connection with proper IP addresses!), and a software called VNC for the virtual desktop-ing.

First video from the camera is linked below. It's a failed Perseids viewing attempt! Pictures to come.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/dJU9Swrq5Io
geyes30

Re: DIY All-Sky Camera w Raspberry Pi and QHY5

Post by geyes30 »

Here are the components:
ImageAll sky cam components by Cyrus Beh, on Flickr

The list includes a USB flash drive, USB wifi dongle, and 5V battery pack, on top of the list previously given.

Here's the assembled camera:

ImageAll sky cam assembled by Cyrus Beh, on Flickr
geyes30

Re: DIY All-Sky Camera w Raspberry Pi and QHY5

Post by geyes30 »

This is what the VNC/OACapture control panel looks like. Very responsive.

ImageControl Panel by Cyrus Beh, on Flickr