Wrong Info on Straits Times (18 Sept 2004)

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Wrong Info on Straits Times (18 Sept 2004)

Post by Airconvent »

There was an article in the ST today where someone asked what is that bright object next to the new moon in the evening and this "expert" said it is probably Mars!! I though Mars is now a morning object and very dim too.
From the reader's description, I would surmise he was talking either about Antares, Spica or Arcturus...I checked Pocket Universe 2000 on my pocket pc and seems the only planets visible after dark is currently Uranus, Neptune and Pluto (Pluto near midnight). Mars, Saturn and even Juptier are below horizon...
so much for the "expert"... (anyway, he is not from the Science Centre...)

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
nF
Administrator

Post by nF »

saw that article too and was shaking my head while reading it... imagine that he's a Dr.....they should direct to us the questions haha
.___.
{O,o} O'RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

novafusion wrote:saw that article too and was shaking my head while reading it... imagine that he's a Dr.....they should direct to us the questions haha
maybe the Singastro management should at least write to the ST to clear things up? probably won't do much but at least they will have heard of Singastro?

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
anat

Post by anat »

It is probably Spica. However, Jupiter and Mars are still evening objects but very close to the sun. Mars will rise in the morning soon. Please correct me if I am wrong.
carlogambino

Post by carlogambino »

I was pretty "disappointed" with the expert. Experts do make mistakes, but this was one that could be largely avoided. He should have checked any basic planetarium software on what the object was before stating his opinion.

For referencing purposes, the exact text from ST Tech and Science read:
On a clear night, to the east of the moon, there is an object that looks like a star, except that it is too big and too shiny to be a star. Is this the Polaris(also called the North Star or Polar Star), a planet, or some man-made satellite?
Anyway, according to Sky & telescope's sky chart, if one is facing north on 18/9/04, the east of the crescent moon should be Antares, west Spica at around 7-8 pm.

However, we must take into consideration the date the letter was sent.(since the letter would not be answered by the "expert" immediately on that date) If we cross reference to the chart on 16/9/04, we realize that if one is facing north then, the east of the new/or very young moon should be Spica.

We notice that the "expert" responded pretty fast. This is because from 9-14 of September, the moon was either visible in the morning or in the day(not visible).

From the above equation, notice the person said "night". However, failing to identify the date above, it is possible that it could be Spica or Antares. However, mars is entirely out of the question.

Cheers,
Kenneth
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

I think the bright object is Antares or even Vega. B'cos the reader did not state how near the object is to the reference moon, thus it might be Vega as it is even brighter than Antares. :lol: As for the expert, we can not blame him as he might notbe astro trained. :wink:
anat

Post by anat »

The new moon is close to the west horizon.
carlogambino

Post by carlogambino »

The person said "east of the moon". I don't think it could be vega unless he was standing in a different direction.
chris shaw

Post by chris shaw »

Someone should write in to the Straits Times

Chris