Advice on Solar Observation in Singapore

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
joecool1211

Advice on Solar Observation in Singapore

Post by joecool1211 »

Hi!

I've started out some months back with White Light solar observation (using a filter on an 8" SCT).

I've been thinking about getting a dedicated H-Alpha scope like the Lunt or Coronado (since it seems we get more sunny days than clear nights) and intend to use a camera with it.

I'm wondering whether any more experienced member might have some advice. One of the factors I'm weighing is the aperture of the scope as seeing is quite poor in Singapore and a larger scope like a 100mm might be impacted more than a smaller one (it's like viewing the sun over a BBQ pit using the 8" SCT).

Any advice (even general advice) would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
geyes30

Re: Advice on Solar Observation in Singapore

Post by geyes30 »

A couple of things. Firstly, I had the exact same thought, but do bear in mind that just because we see the sun, it doesn't mean that there are no clouds in front of the sun. Anything short of clear blue skies around the sun and you're in for a frustrating session. Secondly, it is super hot to work with the sun in Singapore. Much more so than I ever imagined.

I use the Quark chomosphere with a 76mm refractor. It's just about the right size for me. It's mounted on a nexstar mount and imaging done with a monochrome camera. As you point out, seeing is limiting. You will be forking out a lot of money for a scope or an energy reduction filter (needed for anything greater than 4 inches for the quark) for limited gain. I've heard good things about the Lunt double-stacked filters but haven't tried them myself.
joecool1211

Post by joecool1211 »

Thanks for the advice and your feedback on the system you are using. I'm leaning toward an 80mm Lunt.

Yes, it is super hot working with the sun. One of the first things I started looking for was a longer cable to the camera so I could stay in the shade!

Thanks again!
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi
I am chia and had been observing the sun since 1976.......starting with a 40mm one metre focal length refractor.
Self made scope. ....of a vacuum cleaner pipe.....
For the last solar cycle; I had almost watch it every day.Thus experience I had.
As such my advice is:
Watch the sun in white light first. .
If you can stand the heat.......then spend more and will tell you more about those dedicated solar filters that will dread rust......even Cak type.
joecool1211

Post by joecool1211 »

Thanks Chia!

Yes, there is plenty to learn even when starting with white light.

Will seek your experience when I decide to go further.
joecool1211

Post by joecool1211 »

For what it's worth, here is a white light picture I took during a brief period of sun in this rainy season. Waiting for the dry season!