Finally a tracking platform for us in equator countries!

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
anat

Post by anat »

So, a four-pole truss (??) tube is a portable solution for 8-10" dobsonians. ...It is one of my unfinished projects.... :(

Anat
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

anat wrote:So, a four-pole truss (??) tube is a portable solution for 8-10" dobsonians. ...It is one of my unfinished projects.... :(

Anat
True, but even a truss tube 8-10", you might still need a car.

I have taken train and bus with the 8" Portaball. But I am pretty sure I won't do it again. Not because it is difficult to bring around, but because it invited too much stares and that's even before Sept 11. If now, I am pretty sure the MRT officers will not let me pass.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

My Orion XT10 OTA takes up the entire back seats, while the base takes the front seat (too large to fit in the trunk). Its portable, but you can't take along an observing buddy unless he/she hugs the OTA lying down for the entire journey! :P
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
anat

Post by anat »

I am squeezing it into a carry-on baggage :)

Anat
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Check this out guys

http://www.johnsonian.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page12.html

Let's give Sam Johnson a big hug and a beer!
i'm actually thinking of buying his 10" pop-up structure instead...
grab'n go 10-incher :-)
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

The EQ mount has too many parts. If you add the scope, it really beats me how you can carry a eq mount and the scope on public transport
i do it all the time...just take a cab :-)
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

eh, any idea if there's other options for tracking platform. the johnsonian nightrider at 25lb seems a little heavy and quite big at 24". the price of 600 usd looks fair though.

i saw the Osypowski Tracking Platform, but the cheapest model would be in the 900+ usd range. and once again it's not exactly light at 20lb.

i wonder abt the portaball version, heard it's only 12lb, but price not stated. cc seems to have ordered one, have it reached sg yet?

~MooEy~
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

MooEy wrote:
i wonder abt the portaball version, heard it's only 12lb, but price not stated. cc seems to have ordered one, have it reached sg yet?

~MooEy~
I ordered my portaball platform more than nine months ago and is still waiting for it. Very upset with Mag1 Instruments cause they don't even have the business ethics to tell me delivery would take so long when I placed my order. Furthermore I paid in full back then.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

any idea wat kind of specs on it? wat's the weight, size, height, price?

~MooEy~
rlow

Post by rlow »

Moo, why don't you DIY one yourself?