Finally a tracking platform for us in equator countries!

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

MooEy, nope, I dun have any specs
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
alvinsclee

Post by alvinsclee »

rlow wrote:Moo, why don't you DIY one yourself?
The idea upon which that tracking platform is based isn't new. Adrien Poncet first designed such a tracking platform in 1977. Hence, these platforms are also better known as Poncet Platforms.

Here is one DIY link you might want to look at:-
http://www.atmsite.org/contrib/Shaw/platform/
river

Post by river »

I am squeezing it into a carry-on baggage

Anat
I hope we still have carry-on baggage in future. :(

DIY in Singapore is not as easy as other country, the most is you got those "kit set" and start from there. Finding raw material ,tools and a place to work on need some time and personal contact. I wish we have those big shop like Hobby Lobby, Home Depot etc. here.
rlow

Post by rlow »

DIY in Singapore is not as easy as other country, the most is you got those "kit set" and start from there. Finding raw material ,tools and a place to work on need some time and personal contact. I wish we have those big shop like Hobby Lobby, Home Depot etc. here.
I don't think it is difficult, as long as one has the determination, perserverance, resourcefulness and some know-how. Some have done it before, and some will be doing it in the near future.
river

Post by river »

Sure you can do DIY in any where, even in Singapore.

Just my personal experience comparing Malaysia and the states. Living in a space limited HBD is a big minus for some DIY project. If it is easy and cheap to do it in Singapore, we should see more local DIY scope then imported stuff liao.