Singastro Session 1 Today!

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
carlogambino

Post by carlogambino »

madscientist wrote:ya, 24 bucks per year. it's as expensive as getting a dbs debit card, :)
huh? As far as I know, debit card doesnt need money. I have a UOB TX debit card and I dont need to pay any fee. It seems ridiculous for me to pay a bank money for a debit card.

And btw, 24 bucks is for renewal fee for student, renewal fee for adult is $48. New member fee is $50+$4xno. of months till dec for adults and $50+$2xno. of months till dec for students.
madscientist

Post by madscientist »

haha, yah, i agree, but dbs charges for their debit card, not for posb. i know, fortunately, i m a student, :) it is rather ridiculous to pay to join a club. i tink a donation basis would be much better, :)
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

madscientist wrote:haha, yah, i agree, but dbs charges for their debit card, not for posb. i know, fortunately, i m a student, :) it is rather ridiculous to pay to join a club. i tink a donation basis would be much better, :)
TASOS is an officially registered society , hence they have overheads to take care due to statutory requirements such as AGM (and the infamous makan), report submission, minutes of meetings, etc. For those who prefer not to pay, there's always Singastro!

BTW, please stay to the topic or your post will be moderated. You may want to read the forum rules by CC on this.

Thanks.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
madscientist

Post by madscientist »

singastro rox! hahaha, i know about the overheads, but there's society in singapore that is living happily on a donation basis, :) soz for the side track, sometimes, it's real hard to stay in track, :P
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

madscientist wrote:singastro rox! hahaha, i know about the overheads, but there's society in singapore that is living happily on a donation basis, :) soz for the side track, sometimes, it's real hard to stay in track, :P
That's ok..that's why there is a team of sys admin/moderators trying to make sure the system runs smoothly...
cheers

rich
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Although not many member of the public turn up, I think at least now a few more people aware that SingAstro exist. Look at the number of new members increase... yesterday 4 and today 3.

Look at the bright side and have a nice day.

PS: I did conduct a small observation session at changi beach after the event, and at least I manage to get the attention of some people doing barbecue there and talk about astronomy with them... and some chicken wing also.. hee hee :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

hi weixing..
mmm....take care !
oil fumes from the barbeque may settle on your optics and they can be easily removed by normal cleaning cloth...plus oily fingers can also make your focusser and eyepiece sticky ! :lol:

btw, having more members is good but it would be even better if we have active ones. would be good to see some new faces setting up "shop" in other parts of Singapore....otherwise you will have a monopoly in tampines!! :lol: :wink:

rich
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

h3xal wrote:
Airconvent wrote:For future events, perhaps the organisers can make arrange for those mobile canteen-on-wheels to be deployed for such purposes?
Richard, I sure the next time we have an event, I will trust you to do just that huh... I mean since you suggested it, I would like to see you do it :)

You know, before the festivals actually happened, we had alot of suggestion but keep in mind though suggestions are welcome please take note that they must be practical. We can give alot of suggestions(they are after all free) but in the end like chee chien(acc) had said, we must not be NATO(No Action Talk Only).
Hmm.. so we shall start labeling people as NATO and stop any form of contribution completely?

I believe that everyone has the right to contribute here, whether they will be willing to do it or not. Ideas has to start somewhere. By labeling people as NATO will greatly cut down the amount of idea contributions.

I do hope those people who have workable idea to contribute without hesitating. If you look around, there are plans to organise another star party. I do hope that there will be more participants and volunteers this time. Keep the ideas rolling in.

~MooEy~
Q
Administrator

Post by Q »

To Mooey:
Did I say stop contributing? Did I say stop suggesting? Please read carefully. I SAY we must be practical, we must think whether a suggestion is feasible a not before posting too many ideas.

And I'm not labelling anyone NATO, please READ carefully again. I'm only quoting what chee chien had say.

Sorry if I sound too blunt to you but I'm the kind of do-and-go person and not the sit-and-talk. If people wants to contribute then they must be willing to do it. Yes, ideas have to start somewhere, but they mustn't just end as ideas as well; they must end with actions or else we can just talk about a million things but nothing will come to fruition. I hope you understand.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

ok folks...do keep the discussion healthy ok?

Anyway, one of the key characteristics of an innovative group is the free flow of ideas (note , not opinions). QCC teams call this "brainstorming". People give all their ideas , no matter how wild and impractical it is and these are collected for evaluation later. During this process, no one should criticise or talk down another's ideas. Eventually, the collected ideas are then evaluated based on cost, simplicity, practicality. Those that don't make the mark are discarded without prejudice to the originators. This is how brainstorming works. If eventually 5% of the ideas are adopted, its considered a success! The idea is having a large sample size increases the chances of good ideas coming from it.

In anycase, I don't think it an issue of bad or good ideas or empty talk or whatever, it boils down to the choice of words used. Do take care since not everyone receives the messages being conveyed in the same way. Do take suggestions in their stride...not everyone will be able to articulate their opinions/ideas/feedback in a comfortable manner but its the good intentions that count...

cheers
rich