J&U Opposition and International Observe the Moon Night

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

Thw sky conditions are improving. Can see venus now and so the same for the moon
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Sigh! And I'm stuck at work......
DON'T PANIC
vngks

Post by vngks »

Hi guys, nice to have met some of you just now. Thanks for bringing down your heavy equipment. Really enjoyed it.

Andrew, if you are reading this, I'm the guy you spoke with at the carpark.

Looking forward to the next outing. Cheers.
kazumacat

Post by kazumacat »

Hey... Im here... We were all glad that the skies were in our favors. Alot of crowds also... I will consider this event as a success? rite guys? And true enough, Thank you all for bringing down all the big guns... REAlly had my two small eyes OPEN wide~! The two 12.5" telescopes were wonderful precision instruments. As well as that yellow 8" [refractor?] telescope...

I enjoyed myself and learnt alot last night. Let's learn more on the next event. Looking forward to see you guys...
~Clear Skies~

Clear Skies~! I wish for Clear Skies when i'm free~!!! Clear Skies~!
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
The event was a great success! Was fun to meet so many of you, but I don't think I can remember all the names... bad at remember names... [smilie=sweating.gif]

Anyway, Jupiter and Europa put up a good transit show.... especially the 3D Europa when exiting the disk of the Jupiter was an amazing view! The sky condition was also very stable and can see lots of details on Jupiter and the Moon! [smilie=wow.gif]

By the way, I only manage to shoot 1 photo earlier on Richard Low Supercharge C6R!

So all the photographers who was there taking photo of the event, please remember to post your photo here.

Thanks for all who attend the event and all the scope owner who bring down your scope!!

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

Hi everyone, it was good meeting so many people last night, esp those whom i've not met for years, like Jeff!

Tks to those who set-up scopes. The views of the Grand Old Dame (Jupiter) were magnificent.

Ok, next time i will bring something. Just got back from overseas.
hommel

Post by hommel »

The event was great! Nice meeting up with good old friends. Gavin, hope to see your setup someday soon! And Remus's session on astrophotography was very informative. Airconvent, your setup is as compact as usual. Richard's C6R is interesting, C6R--Supercharged--apo like!

Thanks all! [smilie=woa.gif]
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

A short report on this event.:

This event is a smashing success. The sky was clear with thin layer of high altitude clouds and ocassional low altitude clouds hanging at the southern horizon. This makes the atmosphere stable and gazing of planets extremely favorable. Earlier in the evening, the sky was quite cloudy, so much so that xiao di wants to call off going to this event, but managed to drag him along. I doubt he is regretting now. In all, around 8 scopes of all types and apertures were present. However, big newtonians were the call of the day as they offered jaw dropping images of the planets.

The highlight of this event is the observation of jupiter. Almost all scopes were constantly trained onto this magnificent planet. The greatest moment came when Europa transits across the surface of jupiter and eventually moving out of jupiter's front. The great red spot can also be spotted easily and the public was in total awe and shock that such heavenly sights can be actually seen with their own eyes in an amateur scopes. They are throroughly amazed by the fact that they can actually see planets that they thought can only be seen through professional eqpt and space probes. There were 2 young men present that were so excited that they were enquiring when we are going to Punggai again. The young children were also running around shouting in elation about their eureka moment at the eps, while another lady was exclaiming to her spouse abt the great sights of jupiter through yang bengs 12.5 inch Obsession. In all, the public had a great time feasting their eyes on jupiter and also comparing their views through the different scopes. Uranus, the ever elusive planet beyond naked eyes were also seen through the scopes. It is pale green in Weixing's 8inch newtonian while Yang beng's 12.5 inch gave a pale blue colour. M57 and M31 were also seen in the 6inch Nexstar SE, it is a great experience even though the views cannot be compared to that of Punggai.

This was a great event not only for the star-gazers but also the general public. Most were passer-bys while others saw electronic brochures online and were attracted to this event.
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

Selected images of yesterday's event

Gary

Post by Gary »

Thanks for the report and pics! Esp for those who are not able to attend. Perhaps it's a blessing in disguise for me coz my "fever" might get worsen. :) But very happy you guys had a great time. The sky was fantastic but that row of pavement lights in the first pic were truly brilliant (pun intended). :)