M42 and Jupiter

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Good work! Keep it up!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
joachim.ong
Favourite scope: 150cm Telescope at Gunma Observatory

Post by joachim.ong »

Last night decided to setup again with the intention of catching the Dumbell and Comet Garradd... But unfortunately murphy's laws of astronomy seem to apply greatly to me - it was clear all night til i finished setting up, then the low clouds came and blocked the cygnus area =.=

Ok so i decided to stay on and i caught M42 in the early morning again. This time managed to do 66*30s of exposure, so a lot more of the faint nebula came up :D But problem is i cant quite control the dynamic range of this object so the core looks terrible... anyone can help?????? How to do HDR?

Gary

Post by Gary »

Nice effort! The structure of the captured nebula is beautiful! I am no APer but I remember reading some recent astro mags about using different layering and masking techniques in photoshop to achieve that effect. Try spending an afternoon in the reference or adult section in libraries reading the astro-imaging series in Astronomy and Sky & Telescopes (tampines, jurong east and central library have the best collection I think). You may also want to borrow the book Photoshop for Astronomy for more comprehensive info.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

Very nice! Your are progressing in leaps & bounds! Like what Gary had mentioned, the best way is to apply layering & masking with photoshop to blend the bright core region with the fainter outer tendrils. This is already remarkable feat that your image reveals the outer regions with just scant 30s subs. [smilie=good-job.gif]
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Very nice, [smilie=good-job.gif] you can check out Cataclysm's M42 post (link below), he did the layering stuff, he mentioned what he had done in page 2 of the post.

http://www.singastro.org/viewtopic.php? ... hlight=m42
joachim.ong
Favourite scope: 150cm Telescope at Gunma Observatory

Post by joachim.ong »

Alright, thanks for the advice. Will do some reading when I am free ;)