Decision to continue having astronomy as hobby?

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
JJLoke

Decision to continue having astronomy as hobby?

Post by JJLoke »

I started astronomy back in 2006 and have seen the magnificent view up in the sky.

My one and only scope was a Optics Megrez 80mm f/6 bought from a fellow singastro member. It has served me well and I bought the best accessories my pocket could afford.

I soon ventured in astrophotography within a year. In 2008 I got my first DSLR. I bought adapters to fit on to my scope and DSLR but was limited by a tracking mount.

NS came and I slowly drifted away from the observations of the sky. My DSLR was giving me more fun everytime as compared to astronomy. I slowly took up photography and astronomy was being ignored.

I sold my telescope away and wanted to get a better one, but thinking of all the equipments to buy make me in a dilema.

The money which I have since stop purchasing astro gears was invested into camera equipment instead. Photography has beeb my hobby now for 4 years compared to 2 years for astronomy.

Now I still have the accessories in my dry box and Im deciding whether I should sell them away and quit astronomy.

Do you think I should keep the accessories in case my passion comes back again? Or keep my favourite eyepiece so i can attend observation event?

Thanks for your input!
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Re: Decision to continue having astronomy as hobby?

Post by cloud_cover »

That depends on the value of your accessories, their resale value and the ease of re-acquiring them should the desire arise again.
Of course if you don't need the spare cash or space then its no trouble keeping them :)
DON'T PANIC
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi JJLoke. Just my 2 cents. Hope you don't mind.

I was having an interesting online chat last night with a forum member and the content is quite related to what I am about to say. There is absolutely nothing personal and hope you don't think it is.

"I started astronomy back in 2006 and have seen the magnificent view up in the sky."

One frequently asked question by newcomers to the hobby when deciding on buying their first telescope is how can one be sure one is really interested in astronomy and will stay in this hobby for long to justify now the money spent on buying a telescope? (especially a premium telescope). My very subjective biased reply will be this -- if you are still very undecided, then don't buy any telescope first until you have a chance to visit and observe (within your budget) under very dark and clear skies with the Milky Way visible with just a cheap portable pair of binoculars or better still with a group of astronomers through their telescopes or even just with your naked eyes.

Be aware and remember how you felt under those skies and after coming back to Singapore (or one's own light polluted city), ask yourself honestly if you enjoyed that experience and eager to experience that again or if you wish to capture what you saw there in a photo. If yes, go for a few more of those trips. Then ask yourself the same question. If the answer is still yes, then chances are you are will be in this hobby for a long time or at least longer than those who have not experienced that and thus already found enough justification to invest in your first telescope.

So when you say you have seen the magnificent view up in the sky, you may want to ask yourself:

(1) What is the best sky you have observe under so far?
(2) Did you manage to see almost horizon-to-horizon Milky Way in the sky at least once?
(3) What are the different scopes you have observed through under that sky?
(4) What different objects you have observed through those different scopes under that sky?

If the answers are not big or quality telescopes under Milky Way skies, I think you may be trying to make a premature conclusion whether you should continue with astronomy as a hobby. If you did and still feel no motivation to continue this hobby, then you should give up and sell your remaining gear and get the money to fund other hobbies, unless your remaining eyepiece(s) is really premium and out-of-production or collector's item and you still want to leave the option of coming back to astronomy open.

"In 2008 I got my first DSLR. I bought adapters to fit on to my scope and DSLR but was limited by a tracking mount."

So you meant limited by a *lack* of a tracking mount? *IF* yes, does that mean, up to today, you still have not successfully taken a non star-trailing astrophoto or lunar/planetary image using a tracking device/mount, your DSLR and scope? *IF* that is the case, basically you still have not figured out for yourself if astrophotography (and thus astronomy) is still of interest to you.

Generally speaking, with the advancement of technology and prices of astrogear getting more and more affordable, even if you sold everything now and years later decide to get back to the hobby, there is still a good chance you can buy even better gear with the same amount of money you can get back with your astro sales (even if you factor inflation in the calculation). About a year and a half back, a fellow forum member asked me if he should sell his last telescope as he going to NS soon and may not have time to observe during weekends even if he is free. Base on other factors too (e.g. his scope is not super premium out-of-production collector's item, not much sentimental value, still have a pair of binocular for quick grab-n-go .. .etc), I advised him to sell it before NS. He did sold it off and has not regretted since. As of now, the resale value of that used scope has dropped at least a couple hundred dollars. The money he has received from the sale then can easily fund a similar quality scope now with at least 1 inch bigger aperture. When he comes out of NS in one more year, perhaps can even include some nice accessories. And sure enough, he was too tired during the weekends during his NS now to do much observation through a telescope.

In any case, the whole idea of a hobby is to get maximum enjoyment out of it. If you find another hobby much more enjoyable (e.g. non-astro photography), I don't see anything wrong in giving up other hobbies (e.g. astronomy). Our lives are very short and there is only 24 hours in a day. So there is no way we can spend time exploring all hobbies and thus no point regretting how we may have really like some other hobby if only we have the time to explore it further. Whatever hobby you find the most enjoyable and rewarding now, just spend most of your time on it.

P.S. I just noticed your stated location in your public profile is Woodlands. Have you observe through the main telescope at Andromeda Observatory at Galaxy Community Club on a clear night?
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
JJLoke

Post by JJLoke »

Hi Gary, no worries about ur personal view on this topic.

I have been to USA Grand Canyon travelling in the night and stop overs observing the milky way, as while as in Alaska, although night time was only a very short period, and yes the view of the Milky way was very nice.

I have used some bigger scope like C8 and some others bigger ones which I could not possibily remember. Astrophotography was carry out on mounts not owned by me. I became more confident over time at the gathering sessions and decided I should have my own equipment but money was quite tight, and sky was not always good. As for astrophotographing the milkyway was just touch away from me.

After stopping astronomy for a few years now, coming to think of it the investment can be potentially monetarily hefty. I earned my assignment cash with my photography and I feel it has better return of investment.

Ocassionally I see post of astrophotography pictures or astro related post and the feeling of "wow, i wanna take that shot" is not there anymore. I have stopped reading up on astro stuff and there is no urge to actively pursue.

My friends who was once together in astro with me have now switched over to photography too. Im more or less a lone ranger which make me wanna break the hobby for now, or possibly till the time comes again.
Gary

Post by Gary »

JJLoke wrote:Hi Gary, no worries about ur personal view on this topic.

I have been to USA Grand Canyon travelling in the night and stop overs observing the milky way, as while as in Alaska, although night time was only a very short period, and yes the view of the Milky way was very nice.

I have used some bigger scope like C8 and some others bigger ones which I could not possibily remember. Astrophotography was carry out on mounts not owned by me. I became more confident over time at the gathering sessions and decided I should have my own equipment but money was quite tight, and sky was not always good. As for astrophotographing the milkyway was just touch away from me.

After stopping astronomy for a few years now, coming to think of it the investment can be potentially monetarily hefty. I earned my assignment cash with my photography and I feel it has better return of investment.

Ocassionally I see post of astrophotography pictures or astro related post and the feeling of "wow, i wanna take that shot" is not there anymore. I have stopped reading up on astro stuff and there is no urge to actively pursue.

My friends who was once together in astro with me have now switched over to photography too. Im more or less a lone ranger which make me wanna break the hobby for now, or possibly till the time comes again.

Hi JJLoke. Thanks for your response. There is a time and place for everything. If you don't find any urge to pursue astronomy, then don't force yourself. Defeat the purpose of getting into hobby.

Astrophotography is the most expensive form of amateur astronomy. But just because something is expensive doesn't mean it is not *worth* or of no *value* doing it. Worth and value are all very subjective and only astrophotographers themselves can decide for themselves if their own investment in it is worth it.

If you see a nice astrophoto and find a sudden urge to take one but the next few immediate thoughts are worrying about spending too much money (i.e. putting a strain on your finances), then don't do it. This worry itself is already spoiling your fun of enjoying the hobby. Work harder/smarter to increase your income flow first. Perhaps in a few years when you can spend spare cash on astrophotography, you will feel no stress enjoying your hobby as there is no immediate need to justify getting any monetary return on investment.

I saw a nice convoy of supercars driving back to Singapore from JB last weekend. I admire the beauty and performance of the car (and the pretty ladies sitting inside them). That is already my reward. :) Sometimes we can just appreciate beautiful things as it is without the need to truly own it which sometimes gives us more worry of losing or damaging it in the future. :)
Last edited by Gary on Wed May 30, 2012 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

-- John Dobson.
Gary

Post by Gary »

With regards to your friends switching to photography, you can take this opportunity to make new friends among the local amateur astronomers and widen your social circle. Then you will have best of both worlds. You can hang out with 2 groups of friends for different outings. And in some instances, both together - e.g. shooting and observing total lunar eclipse.

Since I came back to Singastro a couple of years ago, I get to know many wonderful forum members whom I regard as good friends or mentors. Even if I or they were to give up the astro hobby someday, I believe we will still be good friends for life. It is quite exciting to meet newcomers to this hobby and get to know them better as a person. :)

-- John Dobson.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Astronomy is like cycling. Once you have it, you have it for life. I think you should keep your stuff. One day when photography seems so routine, you may want to take a breather and look at the stars! :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
JJLoke

Post by JJLoke »

I have met some amateur astronomers and yes we have been good friends ever since, just that most of them have switched to photography. Since Im better at photography, I was able to guide my friends who have switched over and relate some optical theory from telescopes to them. I did ask them to meet up for astro sessions at night but many said they were tired after a long day.

I strongly believe they will still attend astronomy session for some chit chat and rekindling given the time, but the feel I got from most of them are simply dwinding interest, and partly because most of them did not have or did not want to get a telescope.

As suggested for me to meet fellow astronomer is a good idea, but now my time is fully catered to my photography with my friends who are new to it, and my all time low interest in astronomy with no telescope.

I was from the astronomy club back then and every year Im happy to see new comers having a passion for astronomy. I made good friends to those who have came to me and wanting me to teach them. Unfortunately after our batch graduated, the level of interest among the new batch are going downhill. We the seniors see the new comers coming in more like a social club.

A few of my friends and me sometimes do go back to the club as seniors and ask about the well being. It is heartbreaking to see the equipment have been mishandled and the main telescopes are starting to grow fungus. I repaired a few finderscope and adviced the committee to service the scope asap but all turned deaf ears. I have also helped to shortlist a few 'must have' items as they are in highly in demand by the members, but they decided to buy their own stuff and after purchase it is underutilised.

We have since not interfered in the club anymore. Because of these occurences, My astro groups of friend have pretty much stopped making new friends. It is pretty much among ourselves now. Only 3 of us, out of the 20+ astro friends own a telescope, and all are inactive now.

Im more than happy to hear some of them reliving the good old days, but that will take probably a few years, until then I do not know if it will ever happen.

I guess I shall keep my existing accessories for now and see how it goes. Perhaps a new grab and go telescope for casual viewing and the investment on astro gear shall pretty much stop. As Airconvent said, this can be an alternative to photography on a clear sky. Best of both worlds :mrgreen:
Last edited by JJLoke on Wed May 30, 2012 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

Post by Gary »

JJLoke wrote: .. and partly because most of them did not have or did not want to get a telescope.
I hope it is not due to some misconceptions about buying or owning a telescope. e.g. Decent beginner telescopes must cost at least a few thousand dollars, cannot see or photograph galaxies and nebula in Singapore, ...etc.

-- John Dobson.
JJLoke

Post by JJLoke »

Nope it is not about the misconception. It more about the safe keeping, handling and potential cost to them, which most of them do not want responsibilities or obligations from it.