Astrophotography - Yes you can!

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
Barry

Astrophotography - Yes you can!

Post by Barry »

*EDIT: The ASIGN Observatory website has been shut down. As of 2020, you can find ASIGN Observatory on Facebook, or you can find it on https://www.buildsbybaz.com/category/asign-observatory/

G'day to all you budding astrophotographers!

I would like to vigorously encourage any and all who are thinking of giving astrophotography a crack. Sure, it's nice to have thousands of dollars worth of precision equipment, but let me reassure you, you don't even need a telescope!

All it takes is some pretty basic equipment, combined with a little bit of tricksy know-how. It really is that simple.

Be prepared though, if you get into this thing, you will get hooked, you will get aperture fever and your wallet will get thinner!

Below are a few examples of what can be achieved with basic to advanced techniques in advancing order.

DSLR, wide lens 16mm, tripod, 10 second timer delay, 30 second exposure, brake lights, levels and curves adjust in photoshop.

DSLR, wide lens 35mm, telescope mount that tracks star motion, 10 second timer delay, four minute exposure, levels and curves adjust in photoshop.

DSLR, lens 70mm, telescope mount that tracks star motion, 10 second timer delay, 7 x five minute exposures, stacked in deep sky stacker, levels and curves adjust in photoshop.

DSLR, lens 400mm, tripod, 10 second timer delay, 1/100 second exposure, levels and curves adjust in photoshop.

DSLR, 120mm telescope, solar filter, telescope mount that tracks star motion, 10 second timer delay, 8 x 1/200 second exposures, stacked in Maxim DL Essentials, levels and curves adjust in photoshop.

Dedicated CCD astro camera, imaging scope 120mm, tracking scope 80mm with guide camera, telescope mount that tracks star motion, PC to run it all, five hours worth of 20 minute exposures, stacked in Maxim DL Essentials, levels and curves adjust in photoshop.

Dedicated CCD astro camera, imaging scope 120mm, tracking scope 80mm with guide camera, telescope mount that tracks star motion, PC to run it all, four hours worth of 20 minute exposures, stacked in Maxim DL Essentials, levels and curves adjust in photoshop.

That's not all folks, there is so much you can do, the sky isn't even the limit!

Cheers and blessings!!

Baz.

P.S. Mods, would this make an OK sticky to help the new guys starting out?
Last edited by Barry on Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Re: Astrophotography - Yes you can!

Post by Mariner »

Thanks for the wonderful tips Barry!
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

beautiful images and fantastic tips Barry! Thanks alot!!!!
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Barry

Post by Barry »

My pleasure guys.

Baz.
jimmyleong

Post by jimmyleong »

beautiful photos....

one important issue is location. where in singapore would we be able to see such clear sky?
Barry

Post by Barry »

jimmyleong wrote:beautiful photos....

one important issue is location. where is singapore would we be able to see such clear sky?
I've never been there but I've been told it's a city on a rock so it doesn't seem likely to me that you would have dark skies. I really can't answer that based on my limited knowledge of the region.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Updated original post folks. Happy 2020!

Baz.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Welcome back, Ironman Baz...Hope you are well down under! :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Barry

Post by Barry »

Airconvent wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:30 pm Welcome back, Ironman Baz...Hope you are well down under! :)
All is well mate. We had severe drought, followed by months of bushfires, followed by golf-ball sized hail, destroying much, followed by flooding, followed by Covid-19. What's next?

I am well, surviving through it all. God must be looking after me. Very busy life though. Astronomy had it's season and it will return, but I have much to do first.

How are you mate? Singastro looks a little quiet. Is it having a quiet season too?

Baz.