Bazza's Iron-Man suit build

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Bazza's Iron-Man suit build

Post by Airconvent »

Hey, sorry about the foot, mate. Hope you get better!
Now if you had the suit done, Jarvic can move your foot for you in the suit! :p Nice joints by the way!
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Barry

Post by Barry »

Airconvent wrote:Hey, sorry about the foot, mate. Hope you get better!
Now if you had the suit done, Jarvic can move your foot for you in the suit! :p Nice joints by the way!
Thanks mate. :D
Barry

Post by Barry »

Knee pivot cap fitted.

Foot pivot fitted. Eventually the in the middle will also disappear.

Barry

Post by Barry »

I finally started cleaning up all the welds and seams today. Most of the grunt work I'm doing with a 40 grit flap-disk. When the disk is new it can get into the long corners, but once it's worn it's just good for the raised welds.

I'll get into the hard-to-reach spots with a die-grinder.

Barry

Post by Barry »

Got a heap of grinding and clean-up done on the arms and shoulders at lunch time today. Also had a good look at articulation of the elbow and shoulder pivot point and was able to design a simple solution. More on that later.

Barry

Post by Barry »

Flapdisk work on one arm all done. A bit of fine work in the corners to get to with the die grinder then it's ready to putty and paint. I've also sorted the pivoting points for a solid attachment that can be separated with effort but not come apart unintentionally.

Barry

Post by Barry »

Thanks to my friend Shane again, for making such a big effort to be my J.A.R.V.I.S tonight.

The suit was a little easier to move in, but we identified more places for improvement. This time it took an hour to suit up, photo-shoot in every angle, with and without flash, then de-suit. We are getting better!

The gap between the top of the legs and the bottom of the codpiece is much less now which just looks great! The arms now just clip on instead of having to screw together both at the elbows and at the shoulder bells. The trimmed-down neck allows for head movement now bus still needs a little more off it. The cuff on the right arm needs reshaping slightly to get my thumb joint out. Took a little skin off tonight, forgetting that when you heat up, you expand.

Lighting in the chest is fine, but it is quite obvious that the eyes are FAR too bright so will need resistors or a total rethink. Shoulder bells keep slipping below the edge of the shoulder at the torso, so I will be welding on a couple of flat hooks for them to hang off, yet still pivot from.

Back profile - Some big gaps in the armour here to be covered with either coloured foam or shiny red leather layered plates.

The hand plates and the achilles flight-control flaps need spring tensioners to return them to the closed positions once activated.

2nd full suit test fit and walk around. Better. Much better proportions in the legs to torso now.

Walking is OK, need to practice to get used to it but the arm movement is limited. I'm not sure what more I can do to fix that. Might just have to live with it.

Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Looking Good, Mate ! :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Barry

Post by Barry »

Airconvent wrote:Looking Good, Mate ! :)
Thank you!
Barry

Post by Barry »