C6 SCT, Astro Tech AT6RC and Refractor 120ED?

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
kimo

C6 SCT, Astro Tech AT6RC and Refractor 120ED?

Post by kimo »

Hi,

anyone used this Telescopes for Imaging? which do you recomend for imaging?

1: C6 with F/6.3
2: AT6RC with Reducer
3: Refractor 120ED

Thanks
Kimo
orly_andico

Re: C6 SCT, Astro Tech AT6RC and Refractor 120ED?

Post by orly_andico »

I use none of the above, but I would suggest avoid the 120ED. It is big and long, and would demand a lot from the mount.
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

I'm leaning towards the 120ed. Refractors are simpler, doesn't have much issue with collimation, have lots of reducer/flatteners that would work and have less issues with vignetting. If size is an issue, you can consider picking up a smaller refractor instead.

I would avoid anything that says celestron, so the c6 is out. The 6" RC is somewhat more challenging to deal with compared to a refractor. Getting a reducer that would work perfectly would be hard. Given that it's only only slightly bigger than a refractor, I don't really see the point. The larger 8" and 10" are tempting thou. Then again I would not recommend those for someone who is trying out imaging.

~MooEy~
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

The only value prop of the AT6RC is that it is physically small, and gives a focal length comparable to the 120ED.

With the OP's Sirius mount, I'd rather have the AT6RC (even with its focuser and collimation issues) to avoid over-stressing the mount.
kimo

Post by kimo »

Thanks for comments. at first I will try on 6" and 8" SCT with 6.3 and 3.3 focal reducer. must try on few scopes.
kimo

Post by kimo »

I just accrued few telescopes .

1: AT6RC Imaging
2: 6" SCT OTA
3: 8" SCT OTA
4: Focal Reducer F/3.3 and F/6.3, 0.5X, spacer ring, T adaptor, also off axis Guider.
5: some Adm mount adaptor.

I will test all this for Astrophotography. I am not going to keep all so Two OTA must go to new home after my test done.
Now sky is very cloudy so will takes time.

Thanks.
Last edited by kimo on Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Post by Mariner »

Nice bunch of eqpt kimo. I suspect you're the cause of clouds the last few days. :mrgreen:

Jokes aside, I don't think the f/3.3 FR is meant for use by native f/10 SCTs. Read somewhere they won't work as they are meant for the f/6.3 Meade SCTs. I may be wrong or you might get f/5 instead so do keep us updated on your test results. :D
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

No, the f3.3 reducers are meant for the normal f10 SCT.

However, they only cover the really small chips like the ST7. In other words, a chip about 8mm x 6mm.

Any more than that and you'll have eye-popping vignetting.
kimo

Post by kimo »

Thanks orly and mooey, I think shouldn't be problem with F/10. May be F/3.3 endup F/5 or less. I know it made is for small chip, mine is DSI II.

I am facing problem with Meade off axis guider as i want to eliminate guide scope. the Reducer works perfectly
Very hard to get the star for autoguide.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

The OAG should be in front of the reducer.

If the reducer is in front of the OAG, the pick-off mirror will be outside the reducer's image circle.

When I was using OAG, even with a 0.8X reducer, the OAG could not get any stars anymore. But.. I am not using OAG anymore. It was more hassle than it was worth (for me anyway). I just use a long guide scope (560mm FL), this works fine to guide my C9.25 even when barlowed (4700mm focal length).