Some questions about EQ mounts modified for our latititudes

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

MooEy wrote:err.. usually we wun attempt to compromise the stability of the mount, rather not track properly then have the whole set up topple over and damaging the scope.

actually i dun see much problem having the north in between 2 of the legs, in fact i believe this would actually allow the set up to be more stable by resting most of the weight of the mount head on 2 legs instead of 1 leg, and also avoid the vixen one leg shorter problem.
Not exactly. The counterweight is in between two legs, not resting on two legs. So there is a big difference. If you put a heavy scope on top, which means you need heavy counterweights, you will feel that it might topple.

When I put a 8" SCT on top of my LXD55 mount, when the weights is in between two legs, I can feel a little imbalance. So to make it safe, I tied some weights on the rear leg. But when I put the counterweight right on top of that single north leg, the setup is very stable.