Some questions about EQ mounts modified for our latititudes

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
chrisyeo

Some questions about EQ mounts modified for our latititudes

Post by chrisyeo »

I know most of the scope owners have motor-driven EQs, but I noticed that McGill offers an EQ3-2 modified for our latitudes.

Do they really work?
(I've used a normal EQ1 and the counterweights alway get in the way)

Is it important to have modified mounts here?

If so, where can I get them and how much do they cost?

Regards,
Chris
kayheem

Re: Some questions about EQ mounts modified for our latititu

Post by kayheem »

chrisyeo wrote:I know most of the scope owners have motor-driven EQs, but I noticed that McGill offers an EQ3-2 modified for our latitudes.

Do they really work?
(I've used a normal EQ1 and the counterweights alway get in the way)

Is it important to have modified mounts here?

If so, where can I get them and how much do they cost?

Regards,
Chris
Hi Chris,
Well, the only way which you can be sure if they work is to take a look at them for yourself. Ask McGill if he can demo his modified mount to you. I am sure he can also give you a quote.

Most mounts need some modification unless mounted on a pier, which raises the mount head from the tripod so the weights can clear the legs.

Kay Heem
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Currently the only correct way is to raise the mount head via a half pier or replace the tripod with a pedestal system altogether such that the counterweight shaft will not hit anything even though the mount head is set to 1 degree latitude for Singapore. Do check with McGill and let us know what they do with their mounts. It'll be interesting if there is a proper but simpler way of modifying the mount without introducing extra costs in the form of half piers of pedestals.
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

from what i know, all tripods have 3 legs. the north of the mount head usually face the same direction of one of the legs, or in between 2 of the legs.

in the case of the mount head's north facing same direction as one of the legs, the only way to fix the problem is by a pier.

in the second case, it's likely to be of lesser problem. last time i saw the em-10 mount, it doesn't seem to have that problem. also, it may be possible to get a shorter counterweight bar to prevent colliding wif the tripod.

there's also another problem that may exist, and that is the mount head is design to have a minimum evelation, as in the losmandy series. last time i saw remus's g11, he modified it by adding another piece of metal, cut like a piece of cake and install it in between mount head and the tripod.

with so many vixen sp/gp mounts and their half-pillar over here, i think it should be safer to get a vixen mount than other equatorial mounts.

~MooEy~
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I got the EQ3-2 from McGill, I did ask him but he didn't tell me... :)Anyway, I did ask SkyWatcher in Canada (Pacific Telescope). According to them, the only possible modification could be the latitude adjustment. The original latitude scale on EQ3-2 indicates 0-90 but the mount, as is, only goes down to 10-15. The EQ3-2 mount from McGill's got the scale from 0-90 and goes down to every degree, so I think that is the only modification.
If you align carefully, the counter-weight actually won't hit the tripod... :) But to be more flexible, I change one of the counter-weight to a vixen GP counter-weight... they are a lot smaller than the SkyWatcher's counter-weight (in diameter)....
Hope the above information is useful.... :)
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
hlyf

Post by hlyf »

hey interesting.. i din know :P
tried adjusting mine before and it can only go up UNTIL about less than 10 degrees :shock: wanted to undo the whole thing and see why but didn't have the right keys at home..
actually with the original weights the lowest u can go is about 2 or 3 deg before it crashes, which is still not entirely suitable for astrophotog, right? so still have to change weights/ add half pier to do that.. anyone tried fixing a half pier to the EQ-3-2 mount before? :P

hannah
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

weixing wrote:Hi,
I got the EQ3-2 from McGill, I did ask him but he didn't tell me...
This is crazy...you mean you bought the mount from him, you ask him and he don't tell you???

You as the customer has the right to know isn't it???
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Actually I ask him casually while he is doing the demo, so may be he didn't hear me and I'm not eager to confirm this to him also... Since I'm quite sure that the only modification is the latitude scale.
Anyway, for the counter-weight, I can use it even I set at 1deg latitude, but it have very little room for error.... Tips: put the lighter(thiner) counter-weight on top just under the latitude T-bolts, but make sure the counter-weight won't hit the latitude T-bolts. Then use the heavier counter-weight to balance your scope. Slight adjustment to the azimuth adjustment and the heavier counter-weight may be require.
For my experience, the mount is not suitable for high magnification long exposure astrophotography, but should be able to do wide angle low magnification astrophotography, if you use the scope as a guide scope. Can't expect too much when the 127 MCT with EQ3-2 mount just cost me S$1,300... :D
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Hi Weixing,

Does your counterweight shaft hang in between 2 tripod legs ? Or is it set in the proper way -> supported by at least one tripod leg ?
Samuel Ng
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

There have been previous complains from McGill's customers that their modified mount does not work as advertised ie obstruction issues with the tripod legs were not entirely resolved.

I am not sure if the problem was due to user-error, or due to a fault in the modified design. :?: Potential buyers should check that the modified mount works as advertised before committing.