How to set up EQ mount in Singapore

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
khoojwn

How to set up EQ mount in Singapore

Post by khoojwn »

Hi all, is there any tutorial that teaches how to set up EQ mount in Singapore? Which star can be used?
I'm new to astronomy and I've been considering between AZ and EQ and setting up an EQ mount seems to be most daunting to me.
Would appreciate some advice please.
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Re: How to set up EQ mount in Singapore

Post by Mariner »

From what I was taught by some of the old birds here, get a rough alightment first and then do drift alignment.

http://www.backyardastronomy.net/drift_alignment.html

I'm still a noob learning to do drift aligning but it gets me pretty good "Go-to" results on my mount.
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
ivan
Favourite scope: TAK-oyaki

Post by ivan »

First of all, what is your main interest in astronomy? Is it visual or AP? Also, are you planning to get a motorised mount?

If you are doing visual, a rough alignment using a compass should be more or less sufficient, imo. If your EQ mount is not motorised, there is even less of a need for precise alignment because you will be constantly using the slow-mo cables anyway.

However, if you are planning to do long exposure AP, then do drift alignment, as Mariner mentioned. There is no way to align to polaris because it is only a degree off the horizon.
Just a casual stargazer
khoojwn

Post by khoojwn »

Thanks guys. Right now I'm not into AP yet. Just viewing, but thought it'll keep me open to the option if I own an EQ instead of AZ. Will definitely join in more sessions and watch the pros in action. Haha