Problems with Nikon Action Ex Binoculars

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Problems with Nikon Action Ex Binoculars

Post by cloud_cover »

I've enjoyed about 3 years of good service of my Nikon Action Ex 10x50. It was a good binocular when I first bought it. Has been treated with care but of late I've noticed an increase in coma in the center of the FOV when looking at stars - just enough to be slightly unpleasant.
So I brought it to the Nikon service center for evaluation.
Their reply was that it is working fine as the opposite building appears just normal. I then pointed out that it works fine in the day but when looking at stars, which are pin - point sources of light, its not showing a nice pin point but significant coma in and out of focus.
The reply to me by their service staff was that the Action Ex is designed only for daytime use, not nighttime use and that Astronomy is not one of its intended applications. If I wanted to do stargazing I should buy other models of binoculars instead that are meant to be used for astronomy.
Coma demonstrates that the optical axis is not perfectly aligned (i.e. each barrel is out of collimation although the merged image is perfectly fine) so to say that there is nothing wrong demonstrates a lack of understanding of optics by the technicians who are supposed to be experts at this. And to tell me that I'm not using the binoculars for its "intended application" to me is just a way of telling me to buzz off.
Thumbs down to Nikon service.
I'd also like to say that I'm withdrawing my recommendation of this Bino, which I have previously made, as a decent budget option since Nikon will not address any astronomy-related issues. Buy other binocular brands - in this case I'd recommend Canon who took my comments seriously about their binos and address the issue very satisfactorily.
DON'T PANIC
beginner

Re: Problems with Nikon Action Ex

Post by beginner »

Huh ... a bino is make for daytime use only?
Ask him why the Nikon bino so perfect to make one type for daytime and another for night time never indicate it clearly on the bino body itself.

In shipping industry people also use bino, no matter it is day or night.
Better inform MPA about Nikon Spore comment and no wonder so many ship collision lately.
They must have used the wrong type of bino that give them wrong color on navigation lights due to aberration to cause them to mistaken the ship direction of movement.

I only heard of ruby coating in bino which the intended use is for wildlife hunting, apart from anti-reflection coating.
Other than Steiner ruby coated bino, other cheap bino with red coating is a gimmick and does not have any added value other than give you a red wash out vision.

Send the Spore Nikon Service centre reply to Nikon Japan for their comment.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

actually it is true that the Action Extreme is designed for daytime use ("aimed at hunters").

Their astronomical binoculars would be the $1800 18x70 Astroluxe.

IMHO for $180 it's not really worth repairing the thing. I think the prisms or objectives have moved over the years.

I have the 8x40 and have no complaints. For the price, and with that build quality, it's fine.
beginner

Post by beginner »

Orly has a point.
Nikon does have Astrolux model for astronomy use.

Wa that mean not all bino is suitable for stargazing so should not recommend newbie on "if you have restricted budget..just get a bino to start with.."

Astrolux bino cost >US$1800.
beginner

Post by beginner »

Also if anyone really want a bino for viewing the night sky I suggest better buy a really good one ( Not cheap hor).
The light loss going through the prisms and the poor lens coating of those mediocre ones cut a great deal of light.

You need to see thro a really good bino to know what you missing.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

I disagree. The Nikon AE is the best cheap bino I've used.

I would recommend it to anyone who wants something decent without breaking the bank.

I think Kevin's issue is a warranty one. I feel Nikon SG dropped the ball on this one, bit its a small market. They probably sell more D610s than binos, and the cameras are much higher margin items.
bornfree
Favourite scope: Still searching for "The Eye"

Post by bornfree »

i still love my vixen bino.. a niffy 8x42 for sgd 400. roof prism, compact and lightweight.. loving it
Born to be Free
thegaunlet

A First Try at Binoculars

Post by thegaunlet »

Hi All,

I have slowly been noticing more of the stars and wanted to see more. I got a 10X50 Binoculars from China. Asika W4 10X50 Roof Prisms. They look clear and nice to me but I've not had any other binos to compare. Paid about SGD$110. Could be also had for SGD$80. Don't have the budget for more. They seem to do well enough for me. Went to Punggol Waterway Park to give it a try. Not bad, could see more stars than with the naked eye. Perhaps can join one of the events and see how the top brands compare :)
orly_andico

Re: Problems with Nikon Action Ex Binoculars

Post by orly_andico »

The Nikon AE 8x40's I have are only about $100 US. Locally they do cost more..