Skywatcher star adventurer

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
mymoon

Skywatcher star adventurer

Post by mymoon »

Well my new "toy" mount arrived. Being Ramadan no time to play play with it.

Got it from penang vendor ( no relation except for a satisfied customer) the whole lot with all accessories. Will be used on the Gitzo tripod.

For those who like them small.

This you tube describes it very well.

http://youtu.be/sFzQiVwL1NU

Certainly a very portable EQ mount but without a goto.

Cheers

Aziz
kochu
Favourite scope: Sharpstar-107PH Triplet.

Re: Skywatcher star adventurer

Post by kochu »

Looks kike a great and versatile product. Look forward to your review after trying out.
Brgds
Kochu/20-7-14
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

I have some photos here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1036942525 ... Adventurer

I used it in the UK (where Polaris is gloriously high in the sky) and so polar alignment was fairly easy. 2-minute subs at 200mm were not so bad, a better polar alignment would certainly help (and a better tripod than the Benro A350EX I was using).

mymoon, can you share where you purchased it? and did you get the counterweight shaft and weight? I got mine from The Widescreen Centre in London, it was 299 UKP and the CW and shaft haven't shipped yet.
mymoon

Post by mymoon »

orly_andico wrote:
mymoon, can you share where you purchased it? and did you get the counterweight shaft and weight? I got mine from The Widescreen Centre in London, it was 299 UKP and the CW and shaft haven't shipped yet.
I see that you have play-play with the "toy". I was there too around the QE birthday and the naked bicycle ride around London. But the delivery dates are not suitable for me. So I opt to purchase locally.

Here unfortunately we may have to do drift alignment using the Robert Vice DSLR method. But using an autoguider (it does have an autoguider port) maybe a compass and inclinometer method will be sufficient for up to Canon 400mm f/5.6.

I notice too there is a mechanical DEC fine positioner and an electrical RA fine positioner(12X) to help position the stars for the drift alignment.

I got the complete set including counterweights and shaft from here

Cheers

Aziz
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

1700 MYR = 664 SGD.

So almost exactly what I paid (306 GBP = 645 SGD).

Considering that you already got the counterweight and shaft, you got a better deal, because I now have to pay for onward shipping of the CW and shaft from UK to SG via SingPost/vPost.

I just measured the periodic error, it's about 23" p-p with a 15-minute period. Not bad actually.. typical China mount performance.
mymoon

Post by mymoon »

orly_andico wrote:
I just measured the periodic error, it's about 23" p-p with a 15-minute period. Not bad actually.. typical China mount performance.

Question:

I note on other boards some discussion on equatorial mount's periodic error and how it can be reduced. Can it be done with this mount ?

More pertinent is it worthwhile.

Cheers
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

Somebody in stargazers lounge has taken it apart.

There is no PEC indexer. Hence PEC is not possible.

The solution is to guide probably with a stand alone guider like the lacerta mgen.

Or stick to under 2 minutes at 200mm.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

Did some more data capture. It has a 144-tooth worm. Fundamental periodic error is about 28" to 30" p-p.

I DIY'ed a counterweight shaft. No change in performance. Guided performance is about 2" RMS.

http://orlygoingthirty.blogspot.sg/2014 ... le-eq.html

http://orlygoingthirty.blogspot.sg/2014 ... rt-ii.html