Science Centre 'planetarium' is coming back!

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
jeffyen
Favourite scope: Nexstar 8SE

Science Centre 'planetarium' is coming back!

Post by jeffyen »

Dark Neptune
Favourite scope: Sky-Watcher SkyMax 90mm, Coronado PST

Re: Science Centre 'planetarium' is coming back!

Post by Dark Neptune »

HAHAHA.

Jeff apply for the job now lah! :P
Thanks.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Was there today. Spoke to Albert and he shared some interesting stories on the Observatory. You would cry if you heard it...
As for his shop, the prices of his stuff have come down drastically. A Nexstar 8SE is around $2200 today, down by 50% , not that much more expensive if you shipped it from the US, I think. His old shop space has been replaced by a new kids exhibit area.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Post by Hardwarezone »

^
8se cost around $1600 all in from ebay USA GSP program every december promotion.
With risk of shipping damage and lack of warranty.
jeffyen

Post by jeffyen »

Dark Neptune wrote:HAHAHA.

Jeff apply for the job now lah! :P
I wish I could lol
jeffyen

Post by jeffyen »

Hardwarezone wrote:^
8se cost around $1600 all in from ebay USA GSP program every december promotion.
With risk of shipping damage and lack of warranty.
Yes, the telescope shop's prices are a lot cheaper now. I got the 8SE from amazon and the shipping was around $500, that's about the same as the current local price.
Dark Neptune
Favourite scope: Sky-Watcher SkyMax 90mm, Coronado PST

Post by Dark Neptune »

Airconvent wrote:Was there today. Spoke to Albert and he shared some interesting stories on the Observatory. You would cry if you heard it...
As for his shop, the prices of his stuff have come down drastically. A Nexstar 8SE is around $2200 today, down by 50% , not that much more expensive if you shipped it from the US, I think. His old shop space has been replaced by a new kids exhibit area.
Ah, so you were the one asking me and then later him for the C8 OTA to upgrade your 6SE yesterday eh? Haha. As far back as 2012/2013, a 8SE in his shop costs 4k. It was then around $2000 (inclusive of 7% GST) before Christmas 2014, before Albert increased the price of the 8SE again to its current $2385.05. Heck, when I bought a 4SE from him in 07 it was 1.4k. Now it's $957.65 7-8 years later. [smilie=crying2.gif]
On eBay though, the cheapest 8SE I could find is around SGD1990 inclusive of shipping & 7%GST.

Yea, the Observatory in the long run is not conducive to astro enthusiasts if you know the history, with myself volunteering there since 07. The Science Centre itself as a whole has a high staff attrition rate, and I know a couple of SCOB staff who are super-astro enthusiasts for years, but I honestly feel their potential there isn't being fully utilized. :/
Thanks.
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Post by Mariner »

Airconvent wrote:Was there today. Spoke to Albert and he shared some interesting stories on the Observatory. You would cry if you heard it...

Pray tell. I'm seriously considering joining SSC.
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Post by Hardwarezone »

Dark Neptune wrote: On eBay though, the cheapest 8SE I could find is around SGD1990 inclusive of shipping & 7%GST.
nexstar se line was on same promotion december 2013 & 2014
http://i.imgur.com/phMwfhl.png
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Mariner wrote:
Airconvent wrote:Was there today. Spoke to Albert and he shared some interesting stories on the Observatory. You would cry if you heard it... As for his shop, the prices of his stuff have come down drastically. A Nexstar 8SE is around $2200 today, down by 50% , not that much more expensive if you shipped it from the US, I think. His old shop space has been replaced by a new kids exhibit area.
Pray tell. I'm seriously considering joining SSC.
haha..you could. The stories are on the Observatory, not the working environment :)
Dark Neptune wrote:
Ah, so you were the one asking me and then later him for the C8 OTA to upgrade your 6SE yesterday eh? Haha. As far back as 2012/2013, a 8SE in his shop costs 4k. It was then around $2000 (inclusive of 7% GST) before Christmas 2014, before Albert increased the price of the 8SE again to its current $2385.05. Heck, when I bought a 4SE from him in 07 it was 1.4k. Now it's $957.65 7-8 years later. [smilie=crying2.gif]
On eBay though, the cheapest 8SE I could find is around SGD1990 inclusive of shipping & 7%GST.

Yea, the Observatory in the long run is not conducive to astro enthusiasts if you know the history, with myself volunteering there since 07. The Science Centre itself as a whole has a high staff attrition rate, and I know a couple of SCOB staff who are super-astro enthusiasts for years, but I honestly feel their potential there isn't being fully utilized. :/
Oh...so you are Dark Neptune..haha. Thought you were some non-astro part-time student he hired :0 Nice to have met you all the same. Next time you see me, do flag out as I may not be able to remember your faces...bah..

I went there because I had a very very good offer from him last year for that OTA that is sitting in his office. At the time, I was a little reluctant but came back to relook at the deal now but the price has increased drastically now. :(

As for US stuff, do note that last year US$1=SGD1.24, now its more like around SGD1.34, so no surprise he increased his prices.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets