Constellations

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
FIRNALDO

Constellations

Post by FIRNALDO »

Ok, I have been observing stars for quite some time now with reference to an online star map. I just want to know whether the star I see in the sky is the one I see on the map. Sometimes the constellations match but maybe lack/excess of 1 or 2 stars. What's the common magnitude for stars they show on the star map? Can it be seen with the naked eye or do I need to use the scope? Thanks.
Slave to the system
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
What's the common magnitude for stars they show on the star map?
Depend on your star chart, most of them will show up to magnitude 6. Some of the smaller star chart will only show the major stars regradless the magnitude.
Can it be seen with the naked eye or do I need to use the scope?
In singapore, you can only see some of the major stars in the constellation even in very clear night and some constellation are so small and dim that you can't even see it brightest star :(! A binocular is more useful than a scope for viewing constellation. The field of view of a scope is too small for viewing constellation.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Sam Lee

Post by Sam Lee »

If you are an inexperienced observer, observing constellations at night is like walking through a desert without a map and compass, especially if you are using a online star chart!

I don't believe any amateur can learn anything from a online star chart without guidance.
Do join in any local observations in your area to gain some experience. :D

Regards,
Sam
We are the Borg, Resistance is Futile!
FIRNALDO

Post by FIRNALDO »

Thanks Weixing. I do not know of any local observations. Singapore is local enough. As for area, I have no idea. Other than online star chart, where else can I obtain it? Enlighten me? Thanks.
Slave to the system
Sam Lee

Post by Sam Lee »

Here, try this trial version astronomy software:

http://www.download.com/Starry-Night-Ba ... ag=lst-0-1

Called Starry Night Backyard. This should be a very good guide for amateurs. After you have downloaded it, set the correct location (Singapore) and time. It will should you the current skies with the horizon as a guide.

If you are staying in the East, you can try joining Weixing. I'm sure he needs a company or two.
As for the west, you can try joining the astronomers at SP during friday observations.
As for north, we are still waiting for someone to gather the northwest astronomers... <hinting>!

Good luck! :D

Regards,
Sam
We are the Borg, Resistance is Futile!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

I have recommended this site quite a few times previously.
The maps are updated monthly and they feature all the cool objects you can see for the month.
How to use it? Simply put a ruler on polaris and rotate the map. that is how they will appear in singapore.

http://www.skymaps.com/downloads.html

for local constellation hopping, the best you can do is to choose the bright common objects and "hop" from there. for example scorpius, orion and the tea pot are very clear objects in singapore. you can the move to adjacent objects, etc. after a while, even though you can't see the constellation structure, you will be able to tell a constellation by 1 star. for example, I can't see Bootes at all but recognise Acrturus...

for more details, don't forget Ian Ridpaths' excellent star guide "Stars and Planets".

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
carlogambino

Post by carlogambino »

for more details, don't forget Ian Ridpaths' excellent star guide "Stars and Planets".
agree, in my personal opinion one of the best guides ever.

http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/sk ... 1220_1.asp

I prefer S&T star chart. Easy to see and use. Click change location to Singapore and change to local time.

Just turn direction you are facing to the bottom of the chart. (e.g if you are facing north turn the chart until the words north are on the bottom of the chart) Stars on the bottom of the chart would then be in front of you, stars in the centre of the chart would be at yr zenith, and stars on top of the chart would be behind you.
FIRNALDO

Post by FIRNALDO »

Thanks, guys. Kinda cloudy each night and I need a good dark spot. HDB lights are making it worse. Anybody in the north side? I've reserved that book from the library. Maybe if it's nice, I'll consider buying.
Slave to the system
luke5v8

Post by luke5v8 »

FIRNALDO wrote:Thanks, guys. Kinda cloudy each night and I need a good dark spot. HDB lights are making it worse. Anybody in the north side? I've reserved that book from the library. Maybe if it's nice, I'll consider buying.
Hi Firnaldo!

GOOD NEWS : I'm staying at the north! :D
BAD NEWS : I don't have any scope! :cry:

Anyway, I'll cut out my crap!!!! You can join the Tampinese Astro-Cosmic-Inter-Galactic A-Team (Weixing and gang?) ! I used to join them either every friday or saturday nite (if good mother weather don't cloud us out), I'll take the bus 168 (or can't remember is it 186???) from Woodlands to Tampinese (good 1/2 hour aircon semi-express bus ride). It's worth the effort as I've learn so much from them, faster then observing the nite sky and reading the sky chart alone. What's more, if you're new to scope, just like me, you'll get to learn quite alot about those magical mirrors & looking glasses!!! So, look out for any announcement at the observation session forum!

Better still if you don't own a scope, just live on those who have (like me, a parasite living off them!!! Ahh Ahhh)

Cheers! Yam-Seng!!
Vincent
carlogambino

Post by carlogambino »

hmm live in the north too. If im not wrong, shld be service 168.