Celestron C114-Hd

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
aquacocoa85

Celestron C114-Hd

Post by aquacocoa85 »

To everyone,

Guess this is my first time posting somethign on the forum. Hope you guys can help me out. Do you guys have any comments on the Celestron C114-Hd? Its a pretty old model and it comes with the HD german equitorial mount that has been discontinued in recent times. Thanks so much for your time!

Regards,

Aquacocoa85
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

if you still can find this scope and wouldn't mind the small 4.5" aperture, it would be a pretty good scope. The mount is a CG4, which I think is a overkill for this scope..so that would make a pretty good stable setup.

Certainly better than the current firstscope 114 series. The firstscope 114 uses a really filmsy eq mount.

Do note that the tube is pretty long..at f/8 if I am not wrong. The OTA is still a pretty good one...think it's from Japan, unlike the current ones from China. But because of the long tube, it's not erally that portable but certainly managable. However a longer tube is more forgiving on collimation, so it's pretty good for new people.

Umm..you are the second guy who is asking for an obsoleted scope. This is really stretching my memory!
aquacocoa85

Post by aquacocoa85 »

okay.. thanks! that certaintly helped alot. You mentioned that it might not be too portable and all, are there any cases that celestron offer for such a size to enable carrying it slightly easier? or do u just have to lugg it by hand?

Lastly, is 4.5" aperture too small for a reflector?

Regards,
Aquacocoa85
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

aquacocoa85 wrote:okay.. thanks! that certaintly helped alot. You mentioned that it might not be too portable and all, are there any cases that celestron offer for such a size to enable carrying it slightly easier? or do u just have to lugg it by hand?

Lastly, is 4.5" aperture too small for a reflector?

Regards,
Aquacocoa85
Well, don't think Celestron has any cases for it...but you can easily find a tripod bag at any camera shop for that scope.

If you ask me if a 4.5" is too small for a refelctor...I would say yes. I believe the image you see is just marginally better than a 80mm refractor due to its central obstruction.

For reflector, I would say you should start from at least 6".

But again, although it's just marginally better than a 80mm refractor, at least you don't get any chromatic abberation problem. And of course, the price is not that bad either.
aquacocoa85

Post by aquacocoa85 »

Hmm... for a beginner... total newbie, a gd start? it costs under 1k so worthwhile? It'll at least be my first scope for some years till I can find more cash to upgrade and it'll probably be the starting pt to join u guys in ur watches!

Regards,
Aq85
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

aquacocoa85 wrote:Hmm... for a beginner... total newbie, a gd start? it costs under 1k so worthwhile? It'll at least be my first scope for some years till I can find more cash to upgrade and it'll probably be the starting pt to join u guys in ur watches!

Regards,
Aq85
I think for a newbie, it should be ok. But I doubt you can last it for a few years. I think the selling point is the mount. CG4 is quite a good mount and should last you for a while.

But may I ask...why wouldn't u want a 80-90mm refractor? It's easier for a newbie because you don't have to deal with collimation. More portable too...
aquacocoa85

Post by aquacocoa85 »

Ermm... the price is a lil steep for me. I have a tight budget of 1k and most of the Short wide field refractors are above that and often in the 1.3k range. Do u know of any 80-90mm refractors for the price range and can achieve a common quality of view?

Regards,
Aq85
IceAngel
Favourite scope: Sky 90

Post by IceAngel »

there is!! Sky-watcher 80mm refractor is under $1k~~~ :D
*~Stars AND Clear Sky always~*
Leslie
*Owner of Antares 93mm Achromat Refractor* :)
-10.11.03-
*Owner of Takahashi SKY 90 Fluorite Doublet Apochromat Refractor* :D
-25.03.06-
aquacocoa85

Post by aquacocoa85 »

isn't the sky watcher a lil down in quality compared to the C114-HD?

Regards,
AQ85
IceAngel
Favourite scope: Sky 90

Post by IceAngel »

i think so.. hehe.. sky watcher is just a beginner and budget brand..
bcoz i not tat rich to buy a more sophiscated scope... so stay at sky watcher brand... :oops: :oops:
sorry to disturb ur thread
*~Stars AND Clear Sky always~*
Leslie
*Owner of Antares 93mm Achromat Refractor* :)
-10.11.03-
*Owner of Takahashi SKY 90 Fluorite Doublet Apochromat Refractor* :D
-25.03.06-