Newbie Qn: About focal length and Aperture

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

i tot samuel oso dealing in skywatcher product. maybe can ask him lor, dunno he still got the manfrotto 410 tripod boh.

actually the 25mm and 10mm quite gd for starters liao la. 5mm eyepiece i think u better see it for urself b4 deciding whether to buy, usually higher power eyepiece, 7mm and below have beri little eye relief. need to put eyes beri close to the eyepiece to see, not gd for specs wearer.

as for barlow, no nid consider la, double ur eyepiece collection wor. wif a 2x barlow, 25mm become 12.5mm, 10mm become 5mm. a gd mixture liao.

~MooEy~
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

IceAngel wrote:ooh.. so wat's the max mag. that this 90mm scope can go up to???

oh God!! i am more and more confused... is really a bad thing to have such a low stupid budget.. :cry: :cry:
I would say max at around 150x. The general rule is 50x/inch, but that's only if you have a very good optics and very good sky. I prefer to use 40x/inch for better visual.
IceAngel
Favourite scope: Sky 90

Post by IceAngel »

I would say max at around 150x. The general rule is 50x/inch, but that's only if you have a very good optics and very good sky. I prefer to use 40x/inch for better visual.
if it is like tat, i really feel that with my this budget, i hardly can see anything nice :(

as for barlow, no nid consider la, double ur eyepiece collection wor. wif a 2x barlow, 25mm become 12.5mm, 10mm become 5mm. a gd mixture liao.
hmm.. no need to consider?? means no need to buy?? sorry.. i'm very confused and lost now..
*~Stars AND Clear Sky always~*
Leslie
*Owner of Antares 93mm Achromat Refractor* :)
-10.11.03-
*Owner of Takahashi SKY 90 Fluorite Doublet Apochromat Refractor* :D
-25.03.06-
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

if it is like tat, i really feel that with my this budget, i hardly can see anything nice :(
I think you got the whole concept wrong. You don't need high mag. for most of the objects. In fact, even with my 8" scope, I hardly go above 120x unless for planets and moon.

Most objects would require 40-100x at most. Moon and planets, 120-150x is already quite spectacular if you have good optics.
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

err.. my mistake, tot it was a 5inch. dunno y skywatcher mak gif me the impression of 5inch all the time.

anyway hor, vin snr is correct abt the 50x per inch, so it's pretty much ard 150x for the 90mm. so i think maybe u can consider the barlow as optional for the time being.

no nid worry abt nothing to see la. many of the singastro members actually own 70-90mm scopes. still can find those quite obvious dso, see the moon, few of the planets. tag along wif frens who own bigger and better scope, sometimes can peep thru their scopes and enjoy the nicer view while still owning a lightweight grab and go.

~MooEy~
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

IceAngel wrote:i guess i should be getting a skywatcher 90mm MCT with f/13.88.. and the original EPs (10mm and 25mm are included right?), might be getting a Long Eye Relief EP of 5mm and a normal EP of 40mm... i need a long eye relief for 5mm is bcoz i afraid the hole of the EP is like a pin hole and my eyes will get :roll: :roll: and faint!! :(
is that enough?? hehe.. or there is something more...

*ps. if i buy this set, wo hen diu bu qi samuel.. and i feel very guilty, but i know my parents like the price to be lower.. so i also bo bian.. :( :(
You are indeed fortunate to have such supportive parents. At your age, I had to borrow a 40mm bino!

Anyway, I have learnt that the lowest cost is not always the best (like medical equipment). Case in point is Orion. They are basically selling a lot of stuff made in China at prices higher than others. However, many people still buy from them because of their superior customer service, after-sales service and product knowledge.

Your dealer should be able to provide you with all the info you need to make the right choices.

Kay Heem
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

IceAngel, don't fall into the "hi-mag" craze, cos most of the objects we see do not need so high mag. Summore, high mag. means that you will need motor, or you will have to constantly adjust to see the images, cos they'll move very fast. I tried the moon @ like 250X on my school C8, it was moving so fast that the time i took to look and adjust was far more than the time my astro people were looking thru the scope... not to mention that i nearly went blind (cos my school no moon filter!!!)

Although my experience with observation is limited (only school scope) but 80x can give you quite some nice visuals already.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

IceAngel
I agree with Zong... don't fall into the hi-mag trap. The 5mm is way too much power, and would be useful for the moon at most. The 10mm and 25mm eyepieces are good choices. Throw in a 32mm or 40mm plossol, and you would have a good range of magnifications to use with your first scope.

cheers
cc
IceAngel
Favourite scope: Sky 90

Post by IceAngel »

You are indeed fortunate to have such supportive parents.
actually.. i am thinking of buying it on my own.. coz i am saving very hard now.. :D

WooOOooo.. ok.. now i know my mistake liao.. sorry guys.. i almost done a terrible mistake.. :( :(
Thanks for the advices that you kindly make for me~~ now i am more clear about magnification thingy.. hehe... Thank you very much~~!!!!
Arigato~~ :wink: :D
*~Stars AND Clear Sky always~*
Leslie
*Owner of Antares 93mm Achromat Refractor* :)
-10.11.03-
*Owner of Takahashi SKY 90 Fluorite Doublet Apochromat Refractor* :D
-25.03.06-
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

Hi-mag vs. Low mag = Neverending discussion.

But given excellent skies like in Mersing, Ubin or some other offshore islands, it doesnt matter anymore. Any EP will give you nice views! Unless you'll like to challenge yourself and find those little fuzzies!

Charlie
The gentle light of a distant galaxy
must needs pour into mine eye.
Or i shall with bent and turned,
fall me down, distraught..To die.