New image, NGC 55

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
tanguan2001

New image, NGC 55

Post by tanguan2001 »

All,

Another one from last Tuesday night. The galaxy NGC 55, with nice colours. The blue regions were so bright that they show even in the raw frames. A deeper image, getting down possibly to mag 18 with 40 mins total exposure. Lots of background galaxies visible in the full res image, maybe not so apparent in the reduce one.

http://www.angelfire.com/space2/tgtan/ngc55_final.jpg

or, if there is a problem with going direct to the image;

http://www.angelfire.com/space2/tgtan

TG
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

I'm simply flabbergasted. :o

Please consider volunteering your images for Singastrofest to help promote astronomy. And stress that these images were taken from Singapore!

Absolutely amazing work, Thiam Guan! Kudos!
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

i think it's taken from east malaysia.

btw, tg's works are very well known. rod mollisse of "choosing and using sct..." book is one of his admirer.
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Most of Tg's pics are taken from Miri, but am I right to say that the recent shots were taken in Singapore?
:) :)

Chris
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
i think it's taken from east malaysia.
I think it is taken in Singapore, because he is in Singapore and he use a LPR filter... :)

Do remember to inform us when you are imaging again... will like to learn from you. :mrgreen:

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
ykchia

Post by ykchia »

Hi TG:

Really amazing result.... that shows astronomy is POSSIBLE even for the deep deep sky object in Singa_ Land!!

rgds
ykchia
kayheem

Re: New image, NGC 55

Post by kayheem »

tanguan2001 wrote:All,

Another one from last Tuesday night. The galaxy NGC 55, with nice colours. The blue regions were so bright that they show even in the raw frames. A deeper image, getting down possibly to mag 18 with 40 mins total exposure. Lots of background galaxies visible in the full res image, maybe not so apparent in the reduce one.

http://www.angelfire.com/space2/tgtan/ngc55_final.jpg

or, if there is a problem with going direct to the image;

http://www.angelfire.com/space2/tgtan

TG
Hi TG,

I sent you a pm a few days ago.

Thanks!

Kay Heem
tanguan2001

Post by tanguan2001 »

Thanks all, for kind remarks

I'm travelling at the moment, so cannot check in as often as I would have liked. Indeed pics were taken from Singapore. The LPR filter is almost essential, I think, as is the mod to increase sensitivity.

TG
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

please excuse a newbie question...
how do you attach the lpr filter when taking astro prime focus photo with a dslr?
tanguan2001

Post by tanguan2001 »

kingkong wrote:please excuse a newbie question...
how do you attach the lpr filter when taking astro prime focus photo with a dslr?
Hi Kong,

The filter I use has fits to the rear cell of the SCT, ie 2" SCT thread. I also stack the LPR and the x.63 focal reducer which has the same set of threads. The SCT-T adaptor then attaches the camera.

But I am curious how others have attached eg H-alpha filters in cases where they don't make them with SCT threads...

TG