Giro-2 alt-az mount

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
dew

Giro-2 alt-az mount

Post by dew »

hi, does anyone here have or have any experience with this mount? i'm on the lookout for a portable alt-az.. anyother suggestions for an alternative would be welcome.
thanks

eu-wen
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi Euwen,
Do you have a link to it? How portable is it?

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
VinSnr
Administrator

Re: Giro-2 alt-az mount

Post by VinSnr »

dew wrote:hi, does anyone here have or have any experience with this mount? i'm on the lookout for a portable alt-az.. anyother suggestions for an alternative would be welcome.
thanks

eu-wen
I dun think this mount is really portable. It's heavy u know. The good thing is you can make it goto by adding motors. The mouthead is heavy because it has a counterweight.

If you like alt-azi and wanna mount many scopes together, this mount would be great

talk to Oldfield So of hong kong. He has one.
dew

Post by dew »

I dun think this mount is really portable. It's heavy u know. The good thing is you can make it goto by adding motors. The mouthead is heavy because it has a counterweight.

If you like alt-azi and wanna mount many scopes together, this mount would be great

hmm.. the mount itself weighs 5-6lb and appaently for a relatively light scope, a counterweight is not needed.. but then again just looking at some of the pictures it looks as if the whole thing mights just fall on one side..
anyone got a suggestion for a light portable alt-az? its got to be strobger than the manfrotto 410..
thanks

eu-wen
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

dew wrote:

hmm.. the mount itself weighs 5-6lb and appaently for a relatively light scope, a counterweight is not needed.. but then again just looking at some of the pictures it looks as if the whole thing mights just fall on one side..
anyone got a suggestion for a light portable alt-az? its got to be strobger than the manfrotto 410..
thanks

eu-wen
how about a video tripod.....those can take 10-20lbs
cinq

Post by cinq »

Hi

Have you read the extensive reviews by Dave N on cloudynights? He uses the mount with all manner of APO's, all sizes too, glowing reviews. It works like a dob mount coz if well balanced, you just push it and it stays where it is, that is a major advantage, no need to lock or unlock any knobs.

Cindy
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
It look like a simplify EQ mount set for 0 degree latitude... :P

By the way, I think when most people choose a Alt-Az mount is mainly because less setup time and lighter weight (no counter-weight). With this mount, it back to square one. The setup time will be the time to set up a EQ mount without polar alignment (a rough polar alignment for visual purpose using compass won't take up much time) and the weight will be slightly less than a EQ mount due to lighter mount head.

Anyway, I don't see any clear advantage of this mount over a Alt-Az mount and a EQ mount.... to me, it just a hybrid of Alt-Az mount and EQ mount without the advantages of both mount.... May be there are some "not so obvious advantages"....

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
cinq

Post by cinq »

Hi

Yiren has the mount. He does not use a counterweight with a Borg 100ED, it's stable enough, he was just using it to show some newbies recently. He advises that a stable tripod helps.

I have permission to post on his behalf as he doesn't really have time to check the singastro forums but I thought his first hand knowledge might be of interest.

cheers
cindy
dew

Post by dew »

Hi

Yiren has the mount. He does not use a counterweight with a Borg 100ED, it's stable enough, he was just using it to show some newbies recently. He advises that a stable tripod helps.

I have permission to post on his behalf as he doesn't really have time to check the singastro forums but I thought his first hand knowledge might be of interest.
hi, actually i already got a replacement alt-az mount with about the same capacity as the giro2.. and got it at a good deal too.. still untested though.. maybe will post a mini review of it if succesful.
anyway, i did read all of dave n. reviews of it but from the pictures, i felt afraid for his scope.. he used a carbon fibre for the tripod so it looks to me that there really isnt much of anything to prevent it from toppling.. oh well, thanks for the info anyway!

eu-wen
addy

Post by addy »

Well... the carbon fibre tripods are capable of taking huge loads without the danger of toppling over else Gitzo's will loose their business.. A Gitzo MK2 series 3 can load upto 12kgs and series 5 will easily take up to 15 kgs.. series 5 matches very well with GiroII with a capacity of 30lbs..

Anyway, I would not rate GR-II as light portable alt-az mount.. Its a new design and its setup is really quite easy.. I have seen it recently in action at a friends place in Paris.. and it works surprisingly..

There is another option - you could check the Unistar stuff - std and the light version.. Odefield So has submitted an article on "C8 anywhere". It's really a light setup.. CHeck it out..

btw - which mount did you end up with.. Do share with us the details..

cheers
Addy