Giro-2 alt-az mount

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
dew

Post by dew »

Well... the carbon fibre tripods are capable of taking huge loads without the danger of toppling over else Gitzo's will loose their business.. A Gitzo MK2 series 3 can load upto 12kgs and series 5 will easily take up to 15 kgs.. series 5 matches very well with GiroII with a capacity of 30lbs..
well it definately can take great loads but its one thing to put the load above its centre of gravity but quite another to put it off-centre like in the photos of dave n. reviews.. looks really scary to me but if i get the chance i definately want to try it out. would be glad to be proven wrong..

anyway i didnt want to say what mount i got in case it didnt work out as i hoped then kenna damn pai sei but oh well, its the manfrotto 405 geared head. very similar to the 410 that many ppl have i know but this is larger, if i remember correctly can take about 7kg and only weighs 1.6kg. got it at a really good price, much less than other places advertise so just took the risk.

eu-wen
addy

Post by addy »

dew wrote: well it definately can take great loads but its one thing to put the load above its centre of gravity but quite another to put it off-centre like in the photos of dave n. reviews.. looks really scary to me but if i get the chance i definately want to try it out. would be glad to be proven wrong..
eu-wen
Yes... you pointed to the right thing.. Actually its true for almost all the Alt-az mounts, you need to get the right balance around the Centre of Gravity.. The same holds for Unistar or the even the Teegul type of mounts.. The OTA usually hangs on one side of the Centre of Gravity of the Tripod (+Mount head). But GR-II allows the use of the counterweights to get that perfect balance which Markus mentions is the key to using the GR-II mounts..

Good to hear that you got a good mount.. you could post up a review on how it works on your setup..

cheers
Addy