Multi-storey car parks and roof tops!

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
aquacocoa85

Post by aquacocoa85 »

wahh.. u lucky fellow... then u must invite us up there some day! Make sure no clouds manz.. wait all kena struck my lightning!

Aq85
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Lightning strike is a real danger in Singapore. Singapore got one of the highest rate of lightning striking down... Remember in my poly day in NP, a lightning hit a tree near Canteen 2... the branch basically explode into pieces. The strange thing is that the building next to it which is much more taller than the tree itself did not get hit (useless lightning rod)???? So I think it is still quite dangerous even when you are not the taller object in the area... :(
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:

Post by Guest »

I have not been to some very dark nite spot for long long time. Any suggestions for:
1. Reservoirs
2. Parks that are very dark
3. Small hill top such as the near Mount Faber. I forgot the name for this nice hill top as I only visit once.
4. high office buliding but I doubt the security guard will let you in unless ...
5. big football fields or stadium. may be beside national stadium or indoor stadium.
6. big car park that are empty at nite
7. .... you suggest.

clear sky always so that we all can enjoy the view up there.

cheers,
eric goh
aquacocoa85

Post by aquacocoa85 »

hmm... reservoirs sounds like a gd idea, but views could be a lil restricted by the trees i think... at least thats for Matritchi reservoir...

Parks... i think do an exellent job... been to the one at Botanical Gardens(bukit timah side), quite dark and quiet. Even have chairs here and there for u to take a break when u're tired! Not too sure whether they'll allow u in there so late. There are park rangers roaming arnd so safety isn't a concern.

Mt Faber, been up there quite a number of times in the middle of the night on my bike but can't seem to find a clear view of the sky. Vastly blocked out by trees and all. Will go up soon to take a look again and will let u guys know abt it.

Office buildings? Ermm... Me and my rooftop suggestion... lightning??!! There's this new project that is coming up in 2007, its called Duxton Park or sumthing liek that. Its a HDB which has a reallie large rooftop, large enuf to have a running track. Its like 30+ storeys or 40? can't remember. But that u've gotta sit tight and wait...

I think the empty practise track along national stadium might be pretty gd but then again, trees and the National stadium looming over u might cut out so viewing. Furthermore, there are road works all over so dust pollution and all quite high.

Well.. thats just my 2 cts worth... thanks for reading.. correct me if i'm wrong! :lol:

Cheers!
Aq85
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
You can try the mountain bike trail in Tampines. I haven't been there at night(no bus stop near by and very remote), but I think it will be very dark at night becuase you basically cannot see any building near by and there are no lamp inside.... I might go there if more people are going... safety first...he he :)
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
aquacocoa85

Post by aquacocoa85 »

Actually have anyone tried sentosa? Somewhere along the beaches there? any good?

Aq85

Post by Guest »

:P Just remember if I can still remember...

Our government is pushing for planting a lot ... a lot of green (hope not too tall type of green) on hdb flat???? or private condo or office bldg or any tall building. then we might have a good opportunity to go up the roof (might you: not to appreciate the plants!!!) but to look all the way up and up and up (note: important to turn off the roof lighting for decor, I think).

Well, anyone to comment? or anyone is within the service of it and can confirm at least 3 locations for a grand start?

tonite is probably clear sky.

cheers,
eric goh
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I think it not a good idea to bring your scope near sea water... sea water not very friendly to metal and optics coating.... :)
Yang Weixing
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Hey Eric, there's a list of Favourite Singastro Viewing spots in yahoogroups. Have you checked those out? Maybe the mods want to put it up.

Cheers.
chrisyeo
aquacocoa85

Post by aquacocoa85 »

i've been digging around checking out places to creep up to the rooftop in search for some good views... Vin, wanna add urs to the list?

Ooh yes... Vin, u could always add a lock onto the door and singastro will have a permanent rooftop access! hah!

Aq85