How do you polar align?

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
VinSnr
Administrator

How do you polar align?

Post by VinSnr »

Hi guys...

How do you do your polar alignment on an eq mount with minimum fuss and with reasonable accuracy? Any tips like getting it reasonably close to the pole within 5 minutes?
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

set your latitude (1.2 deg N for singapore), point to north (0.2 deg E magnetic deviation for singapore), and use star drift method. I guess that's too fussy :shock:
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

ariefm71 wrote:set your latitude (1.2 deg N for singapore), point to north (0.2 deg E magnetic deviation for singapore), and use star drift method. I guess that's too fussy :shock:
Often tried this, but still not good enough. If you use GOTO eq mount, they will need it pretty good, if not, they will say "alignment unsuccessful" when the error between the two alignment stars is too large. And their tolerance for error is very narrow.

Maybe my compass not accurate...but how to get accurate compass reading when most parts of the scope is metal?
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

VinSnr wrote: how to get accurate compass reading when most parts of the scope is metal?
before you set up your tripod+mount
put a stake on the ground in front of where you want to position your scope
pull a string from the string to somewhere behind the position while holding a compass
put a stake on the ground behind your mount so the string is on the N-S line you want
set up your mount right on top of that line
make a permanent mark on the ground if it's your backyard or regular obs site
should work
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

VinSnr wrote:
ariefm71 wrote:set your latitude (1.2 deg N for singapore), point to north (0.2 deg E magnetic deviation for singapore), and use star drift method. I guess that's too fussy :shock:
Often tried this, but still not good enough. If you use GOTO eq mount, they will need it pretty good, if not, they will say "alignment unsuccessful" when the error between the two alignment stars is too large. And their tolerance for error is very narrow.

Maybe my compass not accurate...but how to get accurate compass reading when most parts of the scope is metal?
i do not know how fussy ur mount is, but i don't seem to have much problem even if i point the sphinx mount 20 degrees away from magnetic north. seems like more expensive goto system take alignment error more easily.

~MooEy~
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

MooEy wrote:
VinSnr wrote:

i do not know how fussy ur mount is, but i don't seem to have much problem even if i point the sphinx mount 20 degrees away from magnetic north. seems like more expensive goto system take alignment error more easily.

~MooEy~
The Meade eq GOTOs are pretty fussy.....not sure why. But got good and bad la. Good thing is....if you nail it, you know your tracking would be pretty well at least for visual.
carlogambino

Post by carlogambino »

VinSnr wrote:

Instead of trying to improve yr polar alignment, an alternative possibility could be improving your error between the two alignment stars. Using an X-hair eyepiece(which I'm using now) to center your alignment stars right in the middle of the ep at high magnification. This will improve your GOTO accuracy very significantly.