question about how to live on another planet

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
mint_greentea

question about how to live on another planet

Post by mint_greentea »

hi, i am new here!
have a question about living on other planets...
especially on (if there is any theory) planets that rotates sideways (like Uranus)...

i am just wondering how would one assume the life style of people living on planets like that be like
would they all converge to the ''equator'' part region? or probably the ''tropical'' parts?

thank you!!
VinSnr
Administrator

Re: question about how to live on another planet

Post by VinSnr »

mint_greentea wrote:hi, i am new here!
have a question about living on other planets...
especially on (if there is any theory) planets that rotates sideways (like Uranus)...

i am just wondering how would one assume the life style of people living on planets like that be like
would they all converge to the ''equator'' part region? or probably the ''tropical'' parts?

thank you!!
How's their lifestyle?? Umm....all inside caves watching TV because too cold outside :lol:
AGMI

Post by AGMI »

dont have to think.. u sink into the methane and freeze to death so..yah..it will be nice and warm...up there somewhere..imagine if u threw a matchstick into uranus and neptine and watch from earth.. better than a supernova lol
Do You Believe That Forks Are Evolved From Spoons?
mint_greentea

Post by mint_greentea »

no no no...sorry. that's not what i meant.. i don't mean to live on uranus..
i mean a planet like it.
eg: if earth was roatating this way (and not all of the sudden become this way and the ice cap melt. it BEGAN this way)
how would one's lifestyle be...

sorry for not being clear..

and thx again!
Sam Lee

Post by Sam Lee »

It will be no different from wat Earth is experiencing now. The motion will affect the weather of certain areas though.

Regards,
Sam
We are the Borg, Resistance is Futile!
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

hmm..does that means we will be having night obs for 6 months?

~MooEy~
mint_greentea

Post by mint_greentea »

Sam Lee wrote:It will be no different from wat Earth is experiencing now. The motion will affect the weather of certain areas though.

Regards,
Sam
well, that's what i am wondering about... you get one side of the planet heated for 6 months then frozen... do we just live near the equator part?
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

MooEy wrote:hmm..does that means we will be having night obs for 6 months?

~MooEy~
haha, Cheers mate! that will be hot astronomer's property!

Anyway, to answer the question, On Earth (as we know it), most of the human population is situated in or near the equatorial regions as humans are terribly fragile beings - not able to survive in extreme conditions unless evolutionary conditioned to it (think Eskimos).

For a hypothetical Earth that rotate along its axis, a day in the equator will be alternating between tropical conditions to extreme polar freeze, understanding that there could be some tilt. But there will be always a side always sunny and the other dark cold!

So as such, most humans will be living in the sunny side, most probably at the all-year tropical polar region (Singapolar!) and the temperate regions as you go near to the equator. The more adventurous type may like to leave at the equatorial region, having to freeze and thaw every 12 hours!

Come to think of it, the dark side will be hot astronomers' property! If they can withstand the cold!

Charlie
The gentle light of a distant galaxy
must needs pour into mine eye.
Or i shall with bent and turned,
fall me down, distraught..To die.
AGMI

Post by AGMI »

i still like to see jupiter(with loads of oxygen) when u throw a lighted matchstick inside....nicer than a supernova LOL
Do You Believe That Forks Are Evolved From Spoons?
carlogambino

Post by carlogambino »

..imagine if u threw a matchstick into uranus and neptine and watch from earth.. better than a supernova lol
No. There's insufficient oxygen for combustion. Nothing would happen, no matter how large the flame(if somehow it was created), it would extinguish.

still like to see jupiter(with loads of oxygen) when u throw a lighted matchstick inside....nicer than a supernova LOL
No, even with lets say a 50% oxygen content in jupiter's atm there would be no possibility of combustion. The ammonium, ammonium hydrosulphide and water clouds of jupiter make up the top layer of clouds in jupiter. They would extinguish any flame immediately. Furthermore, zonal winds on Jupiter have speeds up to 150 kmh. This would also extinguish any possible flame, even if one was to be created(which is impossible).
a day in the equator will be alternating between tropical conditions to extreme polar freeze
Not true. Most scientists agree that the avg temp. on earth is mainly determined by out atm properties. Flux intensity of solar radiation(of all radiation), though impt, isnt as impt as this. This explains why Venus is hotter than Mercury, even the unlit side of venus is hotter than partially/totally lit side of mercury. If earth actually rotated like uranus, yes, we would experience a range of temperature, but not that drastic.