Coronado PST 1st Light Shot of the Sun

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Hi WK,
I thought to take these shots you need HA filter and those cost several thousand dollars. How is it possible for a scope and filter to cost only $1200?
Is it because the aperture is small?
http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid ... -3108&tb=1
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

ariefm71 wrote:
Hi WK,
I thought to take these shots you need HA filter and those cost several thousand dollars. How is it possible for a scope and filter to cost only $1200?
Is it because the aperture is small?
http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid ... -3108&tb=1
Thanks Arief...
Amazing they can squeeze all this in at a fraction of the price.
I'm thinking, since the sun is so bright, even a 10mm diameter scope would have suffice. Why can't we just buy a small sheet of HA filter and then cut into many pieces to make into many 10mm scope? The idea is to share it amongst many people and keep the individual cost low.

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Amazing they can squeeze all this in at a fraction of the price.
I'm thinking, since the sun is so bright, even a 10mm diameter scope would have suffice. Why can't we just buy a small sheet of HA filter and then cut into many pieces to make into many 10mm scope? The idea is to share it amongst many people and keep the individual cost low.
Cannot lah. A larger aperture scope not only just grather more light (not importance in solar observation), it also increase the resolution which is very importance, even you look at the sun. If the aperture is too small, I think you won't be able to see much also even you have a HA filter.

Also, PST use a "wider" bandpass (<1.0Å - <0.6Å) filter. Their bigger brothers use a "narrower" bandpass (<0.7Å - <0.5Å) which is better, but cost a bomb. :k-sad:

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
anat

Post by anat »

Lee:

Nice photos. Is it possible to do prime-focus photography instead of eyepiece projection for the PST? I have not seen it so far.

Anat
Lee
Vendor

Post by Lee »

anat wrote:Lee:

Nice photos. Is it possible to do prime-focus photography instead of eyepiece projection for the PST? I have not seen it so far.

Anat
Yes you can with the appropriate adapter but the image will be tiny.

PST FOR REVIEW
I need more reviews on this PST 40mm with photo/video.
Those who are interested please contact me via HP: 96192273 or
email leewk@tpspace.com.
You will be given 3-5 days for the review but you must submit a
review report preferably with photo/video images. Self-collect
at my place Elias Road (Pasir Ris)

Wee Kiong