Moon and Solar filter

Have a scope to sell? Or wanna find a good deal? This is your place to buy, sell or trade astro stuff!
Kaki Flyer

Moon and Solar filter

Post by Kaki Flyer »

Anybody selling moon filter and solar filter?
Anybody know how much does it cost from a shop?

Thanks.
AGMI

Post by AGMI »

if you want you can try astro sci..hehe the money raker..but generally according to some pip's advice,invest in good eps..
Do You Believe That Forks Are Evolved From Spoons?
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Anybody selling moon filter and solar filter?
Anybody know how much does it cost from a shop?
I don't think you need a Moon Filter at all. Use the aperture mask (remove only the small cover) to reduce the light if you observe the full moon.

You can buy a sheet of solar filter (around A4 size) from Astro Scienitifc Centre and make a solar filter for your scope. Unless you want to spend around S$200++ to get a ready made glass solar filter.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Kaki Flyer

Post by Kaki Flyer »

That's a good one.
Thanks Encik Yeoh.
carlogambino

Post by carlogambino »

Hi, just a question over here, when using a aperture mask(without moon filter), will resolution of the scope be affected?
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Hi, just a question over here, when using a aperture mask(without moon filter), will resolution of the scope be affected?
Yes. I think the resolution will be affected. Anyway, the only time when you feel the full moon is bright enough to cause uncomfort is when the whole full moon is in the Field of View... which mean you should be using low to medium magnification. In this case, I think you won't be affected by the reduced resolution. At high magnification, I think the full moon will not be that bright to cause uncomfort.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

I think u can use a polarising filter, same effect can also use it on double star to dim down the extreme bright primary. :wink:
carlogambino

Post by carlogambino »

Hi, for extreme bright primary in d.stars(like sirius), I think an occultation bar might be more useful cos it doesnt dim the other star too.