Tampines Mountain Biking Trail Survey

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Tampines Mountain Biking Trail Survey

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Today, I check out the Tampines Mountain Biking Trail. I think it should be very dark at night and is quite a suitable site for a private star party. But it should require a permit in order to use it at night... since it state that opening hours from 7am to 7pm.
Anyway, I take a few picture of the site for those who are interested in going there at night... :D
Hope the information is useful... :)
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Terry

Post by Terry »

Where is it? Is it near Tampines North Primary School?
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
The enterance is oppsite Sun Plaza Park along the road side of Tampines Ave 9 and west of Tampines North Primary School...
The area show in the pictures are at least 2 to 4 football field large and that are only part of the mountain trail. Also, I saw someone playing remote control aircraft there also... :)
Last edited by weixing on Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Terry

Post by Terry »

I am living at that area :)
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Wow... you are lucky :D I live at Ave 4, although not very far from it, but when thinking of getting my telescope there make me "xian" :( Anyway, I recommend not to go there alone... it may be quite dangerous and wonder do we need to have a permit to go there at night???? Since it state that open from 7am to 7pm.
Yang Weixing
Terry

Post by Terry »

I live at Tampines St 41 for 10 years, but I have never go near or enter Tampines Mountain Biking Trail before. Hahaha.
IceAngel
Favourite scope: Sky 90

Post by IceAngel »

haha.. i get tempted to go there...
*~Stars AND Clear Sky always~*
Leslie
*Owner of Antares 93mm Achromat Refractor* :)
-10.11.03-
*Owner of Takahashi SKY 90 Fluorite Doublet Apochromat Refractor* :D
-25.03.06-
kcy
Location: Some where in space...some where in the evolution of time...

Post by kcy »

Hmm. private star party eh?Why not we try to contact the relevant authorities then we see whether we should hold one. Since singastro have 100members, we sholud really hold one star party sooon ^_^
Yours Sincerly,

Kong Chong Yew 8)
SP astronomers
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi
This place was "discovered" by me and Wira last year and we did checked it out at night. I shall remember that night very clearly. At 1am , we were so excited to see Saturn and Orion again on a 5% cloudy morning. Before I even had the chance to load my OTA on my tripod, the clouds came and in LESS than 4 mins, the sky became 95% cloudy!! It was amazing.
Anyway, here are some comments :

1. It very sandy and uneven there and not comfortable to go inside, so stick to the sandy carpark. but at the entrance, lights from the cars on the road shine towards you, so we used Wira's MPV as a shield.

2. If you move inner, there are alot of mosquitoes.

3. If it rains, however, there is a pavillion for shelter but no toilets unless you consider a bush a toilet.

4. It is too far away from the MRT, making it ideal only for people who stay there or drive.

5. At the expense of more light, it is better to set up at the hugh field diagonally opposite the site.

rich

ps for more sites, you can refer to the database on singastro@yahoogroups
when I have time, I'll see if I can "port" them over here.....later..
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
IceAngel
Favourite scope: Sky 90

Post by IceAngel »

hmm.. lucky for the ppl living in Tampines like me :P :lol:
maybe can bring a mat to go and put it under the tripod, so the tripod wont get dirty easily.. :)
mosquitos is the worst problem... go and bring ten mosquito coil down and burn them?? :P
*~Stars AND Clear Sky always~*
Leslie
*Owner of Antares 93mm Achromat Refractor* :)
-10.11.03-
*Owner of Takahashi SKY 90 Fluorite Doublet Apochromat Refractor* :D
-25.03.06-